Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,780   Online: 1023

Shooter
    Multi Format

Selective Masking Workshops with Alan Ross

I have had considerable interest in the beta release of the rewritten Selective Masking CD, and Phototechnique magazine will be running an abbreviated version in three parts in the coming months. In my quest to fine-tune the writing and illustrations by the end of the year, I am offering two 3-day workshops on the technique here in my Santa Fe darkroom. The sessions will be at reduced rates as I view them as a collaborative effort, and will be limited to two people for each session (two enlargers – any size film up to and including 8×10!). I’m hoping to learn where instruction and/or writing needs elaboration or clarification.

Thursday through Saturday October 28-30 and November 11-13.

Tuition includes final CD and masking carrier! In addition, you will be sent a beta CD so you can review the material before the workshop.

Rates: $750 per person. Deposit of 20% required to hold a spot.

A quantity-based lab fee wil be charged to cover the cost of paper and materials used. Ideally, you should have a laptop computer of your own with a relatively recent version of Photoshop. You can use a computer of mine if you can’t bring your own, and I will provide scanner and inkjet printer for digital masks.

Contact me to register!

Shooter
    35mm
    I cannot be certain of course but this sounds like something that should be in the Hybrid section and is essentially the same as the thread that has been closed.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    pentaxuser

This is a masking layer over film.
    In the old days, other types of film would be exposed to form a second negative to place over the first negative. Now most of the films formerly used for this have disappeared, and this new technique is coming online to attempt to replace it.

This new technique isn't a hybrid approach -- its just a mask over a real honest-to-goodness film negative.

You wouldn't move a masking technique using colored markers on the negative to a drawing group, nor a masking method using spotting dyes on film to a painting group, nor a masking technique using rubylith over the film to a platemaking group.

This one really needs to stay in the film users group that is APUG, rather than Hybrid which is usually a digital negative output rather than this technique which just motifies transmission using inkjet overlay. The main information to make a print using this technique is still fully contained in the original capture on the silver film, and the inkjet layer just serves as a selective (mostly transparent) mask....

Best regards
    Don

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    i have atted a workshop with alan and used this process, i also have the beta release of the masking cd. it works like a charm. as don stated it is just a mask used with a neg and it belong here.
    mitch
    mitch brown

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would suggest you contact Sean about advertising on APUG. Thanks.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin