Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,850   Online: 873

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have gotten a lot of messages related to this WS. So, come to the next one!

Yer gonna have fun. We did show 3 contrast grades and we did give out a lot of information.

Oh, BTW, on Wednesday, we saw a lot of prints from the archives including some unusual work by AA. Thursday, for those that could stay, Mark showed us some Lippmann color Plates.

Too bad for those that missed the class.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am quite green with jealousy. Unfortunately Texas is more than a 6 hour drive to GEH. Some day, Some Day....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Thursday, for those that could stay, Mark showed us some Lippmann color Plates.
    Torture!
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by totalamateur View Post
    I am quite green with jealousy. Unfortunately Texas is more than a 6 hour drive to GEH. Some day, Some Day....
    We had students from Germany and New Mexico.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Torture!
    Yes. Not a digital print in sight either!

We also saw some rare photos of movie stars and next to each photo was the original camera used to take the photo. All students got passes to see rare old films in the GEH Dryden Theater in the evening.

Sheer torture. I agree.

Every student coated and processed their own paper and took prints and unexposed paper home with them. We had 2 teams that made two batches of emulsion and then they prepped the 3 contrast grades.

There was lots of classroom instruction and the huge booklet on the history of analog emulsions and coating that Mark prepared for us was a treasure. He certainly was able to give us an overview of the entire early history of analog Silver Gelatin. The book includes drawings of some of George Eastman's earliest coating machines.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It really sounds great; I hope it continues for many more years, and I'll make it as soon as I can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    I forgot to mention that Bob Shanebrook stopped by - several of us obtained signed editions of his excellent "Making Kodak Film" book.
    Did I mention the original Lincoln glass plate?

The way that coffee, cookies and veggie platters magically appeared several times a day was nice touch - kudos to the GEH organizers for providing such a welcoming atmosphere.

I am already planning my next trip to Rochester
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One day I wish to be in a position to attend one of these workshops. I'm glad the workshop filled up, Ron.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have attended many workshops over the years, but Ronand Mark’s was the most enjoyable of all of them. The discussion of the chemistry of emulsion making was great. The occasional zoom into high level chemistry between Ron and Bob was fun also. The overall discussion was wonderful, giving me lots to think about in the evenings.

Making the emulsion proved simple and unthreatening, coating, that was something else at least for me. The blade chattered against the guide, dribbled when I picked it up too soon, spots from wet or dry fingers, etc. In short every error I could make. I was ecstatic. If your going to make errors, do it in the workshop where you can get immediate feedback.

I’m looking forward to further “Adventures in Emulsion Making” with Ron in Rochester or wherever. And you guys in Texas in Kansas, you can fly there (I’m in New Mexico)

Ron, Thank you so very much for a marvelous time.

Joe Sarff
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Joe. You did a marvelous job. Congratulations. I look forward to another workshop.

Ron

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin