Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,482   Posts: 1,571,164   Online: 1259

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't go near area 51 either..... and the train stops right near town, in Rhyolite....

Photo's taken undercover with a cell phone... No aliens were hurt in the process of this documentation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cam Roll 1 261 copy.jpg   Cam Roll 1 125.jpg  
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That Sheriff looks like a tough old bird.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So who are the lucky confirmed crew for the workshop?

Has anyone made a checklist of supplies.

Neither my butler nor my mistress can come. Actually, they ran off together. So schlepping gear is a daunting thought! Presumably we're within roller cart distance of each location.

Asher

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That roller cart better be connected to a 4x4, the secret place doesn't receive GPS signals either, I'd recommend bread crumbs or cow parts.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Asher,don't let Curt scare you,Per always takes his boyscout compass.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First timer here. I'm anxious on an agenda/schedule. Any word from Jim or Per for more details? Do I really need a 4x4 for this excursion?
    “I drank what?” - Socrates

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No,there are some dirt roads,but nothing a regular passenger car can't handle. I did get stuck in the sand once when driven off the hard packed dirt road but the guys pushed me out right away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I rode out to the secret place with "Outwest" in his Ram Diesel 4x4, going a hundred miles per hour I couldn't say what the road conditions were. It was an "E" ticket at Disneyland for those who remember what an "E" ticket was.

Ghostcount and others, I was filled with anxiety my first time there, I flew into Las Vegas with 50 pounds overweight in the luggage, I fell asleep at the airport going out and missed the flight because I was tired from packing and repacking the night before, they booked me on the next flight, Southwest, I brought everything but the kitchen sink. My advise is to relax, take what you are comfortable with, don't worry about having the wrong equipment and look forward to a really fun time. I rented a Toyota Prius and it was on a plan of its own, I drove off the road in Death Valley when it just took off.

I'm game in the back but managed to go everywhere the others went. I did have boots which were nice for the trekking we did, all easy stuff. I have to say this about the Tonopah workshop, the people I met there were the greatest bunch I've ever been with. I will always remember it as a highlight of my life. No kidding I didn't know that there were people out there who met at these events and loved the craft and had a really super time doing it.

It's too bad the restaurant in Goldfield closed up, they had a great Buffalo burger, but there are other places to eat. Maybe it's me having grown up in a small town but I really enjoyed Tonopah, a few blocks long but all that's needed. The grocery store has everything you forgot to take, I went there for bottled water and other treats. Be sure to obey the traffic laws and speed limit. They will follow you around at night and if you speed through town you will probably get a ticket. Other than that the people there are are really friendly.

If you come for the first time and have the time Rhyolite is down the road, it's a very special place, often seen on the History Channel, Death Valley is there too but most of you know this.

Bring prints if asked and have a lot of fun, I'll be thinking of you folks.

Curt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Curt for the reassurance.

I might stop by Rhyolite and hoping to camp in DV on Sunday if there's availability on their grounds. I'm banking that people will be leaving DV since it the end of the weekend - I'm dreading it if they are full and wouldn't have a place to stay Sunday night.
    “I drank what?” - Socrates

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ghost,

Get your camp early in the day then go explore if you can.

May is pretty warm during the day in DV so I am going to guess that tourist trffic will be tailing off and that there will be room to camp.

If there's no room around Furnace Creek just head for Stovepipe Wells. The dunes are a fair walk but a great subject!

Try carpooling some too once you get there, once you leave town there is nothing close so a little company is great to have.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin