I am very excited to announce another gravure workshop coming up with Unai San Martin here at Cape Fear Press in Carolina Beach. Our workshop here last February was very successful and we have lots more in store for this next one. The intensive five day workshop is from 10 am-5 pm, Mon-Fri July 25-29, 2011.

I have info on my site for accommodations. In Carolina Beach and Kure Beach there is something available for all tastes and budgets. There is also the beautiful Carolina Beach State Park which has camping sites and is located adjacent to the Cape Fear River.

Workshop fee is $700, all materials included except paper and copper, Copperplate Hahnemuhle and 18g copper will be provided at cost. I will need a 50% deposit to reserve your slot. Enrollment is limited to four so please act soon.

Photogravure, an intaglio process developed between 1850 and 1880, was one of the first successful techniques used to edition photographic images. Its tonal and archival qualities are so superb that even after the arrival of more commercially viable processes in the early 20th century, photographers such as Alfred Stieglitz, Edward Curtis, and Paul Strand used it to edition some of their most important works. Fine art presses and book publishers still use the process today.

Unai San Martin has won several prestigious awards for his evocative and subtle photogravures, including the Joan Miro and Sotheby's first prize, and the first prize in the National Printmaking Competition in Madrid. His work is in more than 20 museums and collections in Europe and the United States, such as the Santa Barbara Musum of Art and the di Rosa Collection. He has taught workshops on the photogravure process both locally and in Europe.

In this intensive 5 day workshop we will be using the new photogravure carbon tissue called Phoenix Gravure that has been manufactured as a replacement for the discontinued Autotype tissue. Prior knowledge of etching, photography and/or Photoshop is very helpful but not necessary. Enrollment is limited to 4 participants and each participant will make 2, possibly 3, successful plates during the week pulling several prints. We will cover digital image preparation from scanned film or file with Photoshop on a Mac, making positives on a high resolution inkjet printer, direct gravure (drawings on frosted mylar), all aspects of tissue processing, using PDN aquatint screens and Picco dustgrain for box aquatints, etching, plate retouching techniques, printing and wiping techniques, tips for editioning, chine colle as well as a brief intro to mixing your own inks and steel facing the copper plate for durability and more.

Come spend a week at the beach and learn the latest developments and techniques in a time tested medium that refuses to die!

http://www.capefearpress.com

PS. Please check out the new inks we are now selling by Izote Ediciones in Mexico. They are specifically made for gravure and aquatints and are superb!