Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,967   Posts: 1,558,450   Online: 977

Shooter
    35mm

Copper Photogravure in NC with Unai San Martin

I am very excited to announce another copper gravure workshop in October with Unai San Martin here at Cape Fear Press. Our workshop here last week was very successful. Please check out the images from the previous workshops on my site. http://www.capefearpress.com/photoravure7-11.html

Our next workshop is Oct 10-14, 10 am - 5pm Monday - Friday. I have info on my home page for accommodations. In Carolina Beach and Kure Beach there is something available for all tastes and budgets. There is also the beautiful Carolina Beach State Park which has camping sites and is located adjacent to the Cape Fear River. Early fall is a great time to come to CB, the fishing is great too in October.

Photogravure, an intaglio process developed between 1850 and 1880, was one of the first successful techniques used to edition photographic images. Its tonal and archival qualities are so superb that even after the arrival of more commercially viable processes in the early 20th century, photographers such as Alfred Stieglitz, Edward Curtis, and Paul Strand used it to edition some of their most important works. Fine art presses and book publishers still use the process today.
    Unai San Martin has won several prestigious awards for his evocative and subtle photogravures, including the Joan Miro and Sotheby's first prize, and the first prize in the National Printmaking Competition in Madrid. His work is in more than 20 museums and collections in Europe and the United States, such as the Santa Barbara Musum of Art and the di Rosa Collection. He has taught workshops on the photogravure process both locally and in Europe.

In this intensive 5 day workshop we will be using the new photogravure carbon tissue called Phoenix Gravure that has been manufactured as a replacement for the discontinued Autotype tissue. Prior knowledge of etching, photography and/or Photoshop is very helpful but not necessary. We will cover digital image preparation from scanned film or file with Photoshop on a Mac, making positives on a high resolution inkjet printer, direct gravure (black litho crayon, graphite and ink wash drawings on 3 mil single matte mylar), all aspects of tissue processing, exposure with an aquatint screen especially designed for copper gravure as well as Picco dustgrain for box aquatints, etching, plate retouching techniques, printing and wiping techniques, ink modification, tips for editioning, chine colle as well as a brief intro to steel facing the copper plate for durability.

Each student will get 2 8x10" 18g. plates to etch. With the first plate we will show you the process from start to finish and use a dustgrain aquatint. On the second plate, with our supervision, we will let you do all the steps of the process yourself and expose it with an aquatint screen. We will pull several prints from your plates using a variety of inks. Please bring 6-10 images to choose from, saved on disc or flash drive, we will choose the best for the medium. I will send more info on what to bring when you register. We will break about 40 minutes each day for lunch and there are plenty of nearby places to get a quick meal.

Enrollment is limited to only 4 and is by first-come first-serve with a $400 deposit. The cost of the workshop is $795 and includes all materials except the cost of paper and copper, approx $35. Please don't delay in registration because these workshops fill quickly. If you need to cancel registration I will refund your deposit if you notify me at least one month prior to the first day of class.

I hope to hear from you soon and feel free to pass this along to anyone who may be interested.

Jennifer Page
    http://www.capefearpress.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I also want to mention that I co-teach this workshop with Unai. I have been working with photo etching processes since 1988. Like Unai, I am also self taught in gravure. I was the first to test the new Phoenix Gravure tissue as a replacement for Autotype and have innovated many processing tricks to improve and standardize plate processing. If you have taken a workshop before with Unai using Autotype, this workshop will be a bit different.

Shooter
    35mm
    There is one opening left in the Oct. 10-14 gravure workshop. Please contact me soon if you are interested.

Shooter
    35mm
    Due to a cancellation in the Oct 10-14 I have one spot available.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin