Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,124   Online: 756

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Mary Ellen Mark workshops

I'm so tempted to attend one of her workshops, in particular, the Oaxaca one. I've put in a deposit, to secure a spot at least, but I'm not 100% whether to mentally commit. Has anyone attended this particular one? It's been running twice a year for 17 years. I am at a place where I feel I need to grow as far as my photography is concerned, and I'm not one to be good at doing it on my own.
    Macy
    Just trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogs View Post
    I'm so tempted to attend one of her workshops, in particular, the Oaxaca one. I've put in a deposit, to secure a spot at least, but I'm not 100% whether to mentally commit. Has anyone attended this particular one? It's been running twice a year for 17 years. I am at a place where I feel I need to grow as far as my photography is concerned, and I'm not one to be good at doing it on my own.
    Oaxaca ? At the very least the food should be amazing. If your photography doesn't grow your waist still can.

s-a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your 500px gallery shows you're into portraiture, how are you looking to grow your photography and in what direction ? Are you trying to move into more documentarian work vs portraiture ?

It's a different vein but have you thought about the Magnum workshops that take place during Contact ? Pricing is similar but it's in Toronto which may or may not work for you although it would force you to go beyond what you know about the city and the stories to be found there.

Fwiw, a colleague interned with MEM years ago and he considered it a very seminal period in his career. ymmv

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i appreciate your input. I was working as a portrait artist for the last 5 years, a business that i have closed this past June. i posted those photos on 500px just to have something there, but other than the one in sepia and the one of a toddler laughing the work is not really me - they were for clients.

I feel that i have lost so much "soul" while running the business that I just need something to kick start my photography again. I want to grow in a direction very much different from what i was doing for the last few years. You know it is a sad day when you look at photographs taken 5 years ago and they look better than what you've done recently! I've recently joined a camera club as well, hoping that that will help inspire me.

Your suggestion of the Magnum workshop is terrific. However there doesn't seem to be sign ups available for 2012, at least not yet. I'll keep checking.

I will keep an eye out for MEM's workshop. Next year will be tough as my youngest is still young, but 2013 may be a possibility.
    Macy
    Just trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Several years ago there was a Mexican photographer who used to post here a fair bit. He had done the MEM workshops quite a few times & was very positive about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Macy,

Is there an online gallery anywhere with recent work or work that is approaching what you want to do ? Where do you want to take your work or who is a major influence for you currently ?

Although I've haven't taken part in a Magnum workshop, I would definitely recommend one, several friends have taken them/ assisted and the talks at the end of the workshops is quite entertaining and last year, Chien-Chi Chang's was especially so

Good luck

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Are you kidding? If you _can_ attend a Mary Ellen Marks workshop, go for it. - I can't think of any downside.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin