Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,809   Posts: 1,581,529   Online: 944

Shooter
    35mm

National Geographics Greatest Portraits

I Just noticed this:

In Focus, National Geographics Greatest Portraits

at

The Utah Museum of Natural History (kind of an oxymoron )

May 13 to Sept 23rd

Adults $6

I'm going Saturday.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Wonder if the photographers who made the "greatest portraits" will see a slice of that 6 bucks?

Grin.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ...of course not, nor will the many people portrayed, most of whom are non-Americans and never even signed a release before becoming symbols of a corporate publisher

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been meaning to get there!
    Thankfully it runs as late as it does!
    Hey Jason!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

"Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    ...of course not, nor will the many people portrayed, most of whom are non-Americans and never even signed a release before becoming symbols of a corporate publisher
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I went to the show last Saturday, and I've been mulling over how to follow up this thread ever since.

I don't like to say bad things, especially about photography, and this is representative of some very good photography, and the content of the show is great, running in a timeline from the earliest days of the magazine, to near present.

Sadly, the presentation quality is atrocious. Most of this exhibit is best viewed from the middle of the room. It literally looks like the exhibit was scanned on an old flatbed, jpeged, emailed to the museum, and then printed at the office superstore down the block. The prints are not prints. They are posters. Really bad posters. Not a single photograph in the room.

Kendrick's elegant little tintype has been scanned, and blown up to about 4 feet tall. Severe compression artifacting is evident in all areas of bokeh from a normal viewing distance. The poster does not resolve until you are over twenty feet back. The blacks have also been squirted out a sickly green, and we're not talking about subtle.

Others exhibit color dither in all continuos tones, again at normal viewing distance, and beyond.

Very, very disappointing, but I guess it is to be expected as the Dthingie dumbing down hits critical mass.

All was not lost, as the admission also covered the rest of the museum, wich has a fine fossil collection, and a wonderful minerals exhibit, among other things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jason,

Sorry to hear that the NGS made such a poor presentation and reproduction of such fine and important photographs. That is certainly very disappointing to hear.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin