Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,563   Posts: 1,573,353   Online: 1028

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Where in Utah should I go?

Hi - I'm from New Zealand and about to spend a few weeks in the South West. I shoot MF landscapes and would appreciate advice on good places to go. I know the possibilities are endless, so I'd like to narrow them down to a manageable number. Please tell me where is your favourite place. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have a few weeks you should easily be able to hit the Grand Circle of Zion NP to Bryce Canyon NP to Capitol Reef NP to Moab (Canyonlands and Arches NPs). Everyone of them is different and beautiful. Grand Canyon is of course a destination in its own right.

My experience is you can't go wrong with any parks or highways out there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Of course all the main places are totally worth the trip. I visited Capitol Reef National Park a handful of times in the early 90s - I liked it better in a lot of ways than the Zions/Bryces/Arches parks.

The whole southern part of the state is just awesome, you really can't go wrong!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I had the good fortune to spend a few days in Moab, Utah and went to both Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. Arches is spectacular, but the grandeur, grace and beauty of Canyonlands is mind-boggling. It's a smaller park with fewer amenities, but well worth the time spent there!!!
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I can highly recommend Arches and Bryce Canyon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Moab is a great, central place to stay for a couple of the key parks: Arches, Canyonlands. Most highlights in those National Parks are "road kill" (car accessible), and there is quick access for pre-dawn/sunset shots from Moab.

A drive down to the south part of Utah and Monument Valley is worthwhile, as well as staging in Page AZ for a few days. Antelope Canyon is nearby, as is access to Grand Staircase/Escalante.

Then one could stage near Bryce Canyon/Zion.

There is SOOOO much to see that one should focus on what one seeks most, and spend a quality session(s) there.

Have fun!

" Be happy. Take a silver break today !!!"
    MP_Wayne

Images
    After Zion head for southern Utah

Page is a great idea but avoid Antelope Canyon. Too touristy and not worth the trip anymore, but there is a lot of places to shoot. Hummer tours(not sure if that is their name but they are based in the bike shop with the yellow hummer) goes out to a pretty cool slot canyon that has not been shot by thousands.

If you are going to head that way PM me and I will give you some good places.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depending on the time you have to devote to each place, you can find interesting areas all across the southern part of the state--the canyonlands area. It's a large territory to cover but it includes Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon, Cedar Breaks and Zion and all the points in between. At Zion, you're only a day trip away from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, in Arizona. Monument Valley is nearby on the east side of southern Utah and northern Arizona. Again depending on time to devote, it's worth a trip over into southwestern Colorado to visit Mesa Verde.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively View Post
    At Zion, you're only a day trip away from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, in Arizona.
    During most years, the North Rim access road and facilities (lodge, campground, etc.) don't open until around May 15. They don't plow the road in the winter. The elevation is quite high (8,000 - 9,000ft.). So, snow tends to linger well into May in a typical year.

I have no idea if this winter has been "typical". Best to call the park and inquire on the expected road opening date if you'd like to visit before mid-May.

The South Rim is a much longer drive from points north, but is open year round.

Kerry

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I live in the NE US (2000 miles away), but I have to attend a trade show in Las Vegas each year. I often take some time off after the show to photograph in the SW, so I have visited many of the sites in the area.

A few thoughts:

I shoot mostly B&W, but you will kick yourself if you don't pack some colour film and a polarizer.

Zion, Arches, Bryce are all fantastic in their own, different ways, don't try to rush through all of them - especially Zion, and spend several days to be able to get more of a sense for the place. Much of Zion (and in my opinion the most interesting bits) is in deep, narrow canyons or valleys, which means that the shooting day is relatively short - nice for when you are on vacation.

Don't know when you are planning on visiting. During my late April timeframe, the north rim of the Grand Canyon is not accessible, but I have visited the South Rim a few times. Last time was with my teenage daughter who is also a photographer. We had a deal that we would take a peek outside at sunrise, and if the sky looked good, we would go out and shoot, then have breakfast later, if lousy sky, we would sleep in. We were blessed with very few days where we could sleep in

Another SW destination which is nice, although not in Utah is the Valley of Fire in Nevada - great red rock formations and some ancient petroglyphs. About an hour outside of Las Vegas.

Also, not in Utah, but SW are some of the ghost towns of the south, mostly in Nevada or California. Some of my favourites are Bodie, Rhyolite and Berlin. Frisco in Utah is another nice one.

I have not been there, but it is on my list to visit are the Anasazi cliff dwellings in Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin