Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,682   Posts: 1,548,519   Online: 868

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GSL, anyone?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade View Post
    Get a map, get in your truck, fill the tank and start driving. Oh yeah, take plenty of water. It gets hot out there in the summer.
    I was hoping for something a bit more specific. I've done the driving thing, both on road and off, and at $4.00/gallon, efficiency counts.

Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fred, it sounds as if you would be better off going with someone else and setting up after they shoot their images.

If you can't find great variety, interesting locations and excellent images in Northern Utah on your own you are hopeless, at least for the forseeable future.

The Northern end of Utah is loaded with great locations. Great scenery and a lot of easy to get to places where you are seldom bothered while making images that are more than worth the effort getting to them.

Take a workshop from Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee and you might get an inkling of what is available right at your front door. Then get out takingsome original photos and quit waiting for the chance at the same old stuff over and over and over again.

Grouse Creek and Lynn to Park Valley & Kelton to Garden City and Sage Creek Junction to Vernal and the Uintah Basin Northern Utah is a paradise of excellent photo locations even for those who insist in shooting the same old stuff over and over and over again. If you are somewhat creative you will never run out of photo opportunities just around Great Salt Lake itself much less the rest of Northern Utah.

If you can't find good locations on your own you can always stop at the Visitors Center by The Salt Palace and buy some Postcards. While you are there go to the Art Center and sign up for Rodger Newbolds series of photo classes and learn to do it right, from the ground up. His series and the photo program they have is more than worth the cost.

If you aren't seeing good photos where you are the problem is not your location.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, so, Jetty this Saturday? Any ideas on time?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    WarEagle,

Having lived quite a few places such as the Puget Sound, the Cascade Mountains, the Oregon Coast, the Sonoran Desert, and traveled quite extensively in the Western U. S., I find N. Utah to be somewhat sterile in comparison.

I recently did a web search looking for SLC photos and came up virtually empty handed for interesting photos. Lots of photos of buildings downtown but not much else. Perhaps you can direct me to a gallery/website that might enlighten me.

As far as classes, I have a degree in Photography and worked in the field for a number of years as a commercial photographer, wedding photographer, forensic/crime lab photographer and sports cinematographer. I have also spent a fair amount of time in a commercial lab.

I was simply looking for local insight and perhaps some friendly assistance from fellow Utah APUGgers, but perhaps this is expecting too much, not being a native Utahn?

'nuff said.

Fred
    Last edited by Fred Aspen; 06-05-2008 at 06:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    To get us back on topic... Is anyone interested in going to the spiral jetty besides yardkat and myself on Saturday the 7th?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    YES! It was looking like we might not be able to make it and have been waiting to see. Just learned will be able to if your still planning on it.

hermit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fred, sounds as if you have experience but are looking for 'SOS' images.
    The reason you see mainly SoUtah work from the State is that so many look at David Muench and others and go out and photograph what they did. Few go further.
    Take a look at some of the work done by John Telford of Great Salt Lake. Take a look at the work of Craig Law on some of the quiet areas of Utah.
    Visit the Salt Lake Art Center and get some inspiration as they have a number of programs, photographers and instructors intimately familiar with many areas of Utah.
    Go a couple hours South and photograph the moving rocks... no need to drive all the way to Death Valley for it.
    Trace the route of Bear River. Go just over the border to Wyoming and hit Fossil Beds National Monument. How about City of Rocks just over the border in Idaho?
    Get away from the 'in your face' postcard photos and the places where you fight for a spot to put a tripod. Get out a map of the Transcontinental Railroad route and follow it a bit and photograph. The Uintah mountains are nearby. The Wasatch Mountains (Wasatch is a Ute term meaning 'Frozen Penis') have excellent scenic areas from Mt. Timpanogos to the ski areas to points North. The Raft River mountains to the North along the Utah/Idaho border are seldom visited. The Devils Playground in that area is pretty good.
    Great Salt Lake and points nearby have a lot of interesting locations if you will go out and look a bit and not rely on others telling you where to go.

I stand by what I posted. If you can't find excellent places to photograph you are not putting much effort into the process. Take some classes at the SL Art center and work on creativity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In case anyone is interested, Evilhomer, Hermit, and I will be meeting at the Golden Spike Visitors Center around 5 pm today, and will probably be heading towards the Spiral Jetty. I've never been there, so I'm looking forward to it. It looks to be a nice cool day today, so feel free to join us!
    J

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fred,
    You could literally spend days shooting in the Logan Canyon alone, in Northern Utah. Or take a hike up into Dry Canyon, there are gorgeous rock formations there. I'm not a native Utahn, originally from Chicago and spent some time in Calif., VA and Maine, but I find people to be of abundant help.
    Jim
    'It matters little how much equipment we use; it matters much that we be masters of all we do use.' - Sam Abell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by yardkat View Post
    In case anyone is interested, Evilhomer, Hermit, and I will be meeting at the Golden Spike Visitors Center around 5 pm today, and will probably be heading towards the Spiral Jetty. I've never been there, so I'm looking forward to it. It looks to be a nice cool day today, so feel free to join us!
    J
    Wow, this sounds pretty neat. I just became a member a couple days ago and only now found this thread, but this sounds cool. Maybe next time for me though.
    Jim
    'It matters little how much equipment we use; it matters much that we be masters of all we do use.' - Sam Abell

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin