Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,012   Online: 727

Shooter
    Medium Format

HELP!!! Darkroom needed!!!

Hey All,

I am sad. I am being evicted from my darkroom. (the parents have decided to remodel their basement and a darkroom isn't in the plans.). This is a major problem for me, as this is my hobby and what keeps me sane. I have been calling around but there seems to be very, very little in the way of rentable locations (preferably clean, able to enlarge up to 16x20, and handle 6x6 negs).

So, other then the Salt Lake Art Center, does anyone know of a suitable and clean place? I have my own chemistry, paper, etc...

I cannot go to photoshop... no way.
    Justin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What about your bedroom?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Sounds like a not very subtle hint to me. Hold old are you

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks guys,
    I own a condo... no room for it. So does anyone have any valid suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take a class. Many junior/community colleges offer "private" darkrooms (you actually share it with 2-3 people) to their advanced students. Plus you have the added benefits of critique and a photographic community.

yours:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Condos have bathrooms too, eh?

No, I'm not being a smart a**, either. A little blackout cloth, a few brackets --- viola.

I worked out of bathroom darkrooms on and off for more than 30 years. Depends on how bad you want it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There used to be a place in the basement of Urtrecht Art Supply store in Sugarhouse. Access was from the back door next to the Lifestyles gym entrance. I have no idea if it's still there or not, or what it was called, I've just been googling and can't find any reference to it, and can't remember how I even found out about it. The Art Center is a much nicer facility, at any rate. I'm not sure what the darkroom situation is at Salt Lake Community College.

Shooter
    Large Format
    PM Me. I might be able to help.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You could always try to do what I do...
    In a spare bedroom of my rental condo, I have covered the window with lightproof black plastic. In this room I have setup an enlarger on a desk, and I put my trays on an old coffee table. I have a near by small bathroom where I wash my prints, mix the chemicals, etc. Its kind of a pain in the butt to do.

I do use the darkroom at the SLC Arts center now and then when I'm taking a class. Its a nice place to get work done. You don't have to wory about setup, teardown, washing prints or mixing chemicals. Which allows me to get much more work done.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin