Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,710   Online: 697

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Welcome aboard APUG

This thread got me wondering about what we get in the way of rain here in Kitimat, BC, Canada. We have ferns growing in the moss that's growing in the branches of the trees, so I knew it had to be quite a bit. Turns out we get, on average, 2395mm (7'8") of rain and 335cm (11') of snow a year.

YIKES-EEEE-MOMMA!!!

Wanna buy some moss?

http://www.eldoradocountyweather.com...2/Kitimat.html

Murray

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    And people complain about the 3 to 5 feet of rain we get! (although some areas around here do get closer to 7 feet -- depends on the mountains behind you to the east). We got moss...it is the mold growing in the closets that you got to watch out for! I always tell our new out-of-the-area students, not to put their shoes in their closets!

If one gets lost in the woods, the old adage of moss growing only the north side of the tree just has people going in circles around here! Do the ferns only grow on the north side of the moss?

Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn; 12-13-2008 at 05:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Do the ferns only grow on the north side of the moss?
    Nope - just about any place the moss is thick enough. We're at the head of a 60 mile channel, so it's "pretty dry" compared to the first mountains that intercept the incoming Pacific weather systems on the outer coast. There are ferns and flowers growing in the moss that's growing on the branches of the trees out there, but it never snows over 4' in a day, so I like it better here

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
    YIKES-EEEE-MOMMA!!!
    I HAD to look you up.

We live pretty much due south of you, in Anacortes, WA, which is on the only San Juan Island that you can drive to, Fidalgo. We're about 90km South of Langley, which is on the US border. It hardly rains here at all compared to where you are. My wife just told me we get a bit more than half a meter (21 inches) of rain. We've had enough rain, even so, thanks! It is depressing! How can you stand it!

Right now, we are blanketed with snow -- about 30mm, I'd guess. The neighborhood kids are out throwing snowballs and building snowmen. I understand we are in for a VERY SERIOUS snowstorm and may get as much as 12.5 cm. Man, what are we going to do? Traffic will be paralyzed. I think I'll sit home by the fire with the cats! Seriously, for you it is probably a laughing matter, but around here, people have to drive in snow so seldom that when they do, a large proportion of them end up in the ditch.

Well, we are in the Olympic rain shadow, and while it is still Pacific Maritime, it's nothing like where you are. We can go to the other side of the Olympic Peninsula to Forks, though, and they get about 3 meters of rain, over 10 feet; hardly any snow though. The rainforest over there would seem pretty familiar to you, I'm sure.

It wouldn't work here, but where you are, can't you just hang your prints on a clothesline overnight?
    Last edited by bowzart; 12-13-2008 at 11:15 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: correct conversion error

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes we get RAIN. Tonight though we have SNOW. Makes for great black & white shots. They don't call this the Wetcoast for nothing !!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dances_w_clouds View Post
    Yes we get RAIN. Tonight though we have SNOW. Makes for great black & white shots. They don't call this the Wetcoast for nothing !!
    Yeah, Lotus Eater!

It's pretty much the same here, neighbor. But if you moved over to Victoria (which is actually south of us) you'd have our weather. I think it's a bit better on the whole than yours. But, weather isn't everything. We can't get a decent Chinese dinner without heading up your way, or going the other way just about the same distance to Seattle.

We drove home from Bellingham at around dusk. The landscape gradually disappeared into the mist. It was gorgeous. I didn't take any prints to wash by towing them behind the car.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ya with Victoria right on the south of the Island they get the wind. Actually were I live the postal code is Burnaby.On the coast here we get some outstanding shots. What I've noticed is we are the only ones still in today most eastern APUG ers are in tomorrow. Oh well they don't notice cause most are sleeping. It usually gets VERY quiet here @ this time. Oh well I'm just babbling time fer bed.
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 12-14-2008 at 01:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    ...In wet years, a bunch of it winds up in the Great Salt Lake, or in the east part of the state, sent on down to the more deserving members (sarcasm) of the Colorado River Compact. Las Vegas lives on Utah water.
    It can be an interesting discussion with folks down south with brown lawns and restrictions on washing their cars that the water flowing down our rivers into the sea is not just getting "wasted". SoCal use of Colorado River water is a touchy issue (not to mention Mono Lake!) as water pacts will divert more and more of that water to Arizona.

Water rights is the biggest issue in the West, and the world -- the Israel/Palestinian conflict is more about water rights than anything else. Land, yes, but more importantly about the water running under it.

I find it interesting comparing the SLC rain data I linked to above, and the perception of those who live there. I suppose even if SLC gets an inch of rain every month, when it is such low humidity it must evaporate right after hitting the ground and not soak in. So different from here!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    ...Water rights is the biggest issue in the West, and the world -- ...
    Vaughn
    Even up here in the Skagit Valley - the Skagit River carries the 3rd largest volume on the west side of the US; Only the Columbia and the Sacramento deliver more water to the Pacific. It rains a fair to large amount in the Skagit watershed. The North Cascades, from whence it comes, get a great deal of snow. We SEE a lot of water; more than we like. Superficially, one might think that we should have no shortage of water. We can't necessarily count on it. It's not just the Skagit, either; all of the rivers in Western Washington are affected as well, as are, to some extent, the rivers on the east side of the Cascades.

Two conditions that I know of (maybe there are others?) have a way of causing major flooding. The flooding results in the depletion of the stored water, as well as causing serious damage to communities downstream. We can sometimes have a lot of precipitation in a year which nonetheless leaves us experiencing drought conditions.

One of these conditions is the "Pineapple Express" - a stream of warm, wet air coming straight from Hawaii. By straight, I mean just that; a straight line of clouds that heads right for Puget Sound and the Straights of Georgia. As the warm air moves northward, it cools and dumps a great deal of rain. The warm air and rain melts accumulated snow. Typically, this happens several times / year. Flying from Honolulu to Seattle once, we got on the plane in the sun, then followed the clouds all the way to Seattle and disembarked to find it raining very hard. We wanted to get back on the airplane and go right back. Of course, all of the rivers were flooding.

The other condition is when we get early hot days in the spring. This simply melts the snow. By spring, we are about ready for some sun, but when we get it, flooding can be on its way. Some years, it is very strange. Thinking we are getting lots of rain, we can still be in a drought.

These floods and their aftereffects in drought years have disastrous effects on the salmon runs and agriculture both on the west side of the Cascades and the east side too. A few years back, we had sequential drought years; it was hard for the orchards to stay in business.

-----

BTW, dances-w-clouds, we get the same winds that Victoria gets... Sometimes, out on the flats, at or very close to hurricane force. The water is flat; the land is flat. Two storms blew down a local barn two years ago. The first one got most of it; the second finished the job a week later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes the weather patterns are changing in record numbers. One year about about 5 years ago we were setting them for the most amount of rain. In the last few years records for the least amount. Most places have gradual changes but in the Pascific Northwest it is more pronounced.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin