Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,748   Posts: 1,515,716   Online: 912

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smcclarin View Post
    I just purchased 3 month in advance tickets for 2 people (7.00 each) for one day access to the Wave in Coyote Buttes

Google search images link:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...w=1571&bih=768

It is on BLM land located on the border of Southern Utah and northern Arizona (6 mile wilderness hike with only 10 people allowed per day) late in July, its going to be hot but wonderful! I will be hiking my Mamiya RB 67 system with Ilford Delta 100, and Fuji Velvia 100 and 50 if I can find it. Is there any other film I should consider. I have 6 backs 3 in 6x7 the rest 6x4.5 in working order but only have 4 darkslides, and one functioning instant film back. I am really excited to do this day hike. I have rigged a belt case for my Soligor Spot meter and am set up for BW with a B+W Yellow #8, and Tiffen #25 Red filter, and some color work without filters. Want to get a clip on lens cover for the soligor though

wish me luck!

Are there any tips for hiknig medium format cameras on moderately difficult hiking trails?

The RB system with 50mm and 90mm and a 2x Tele adapter + a Manfrotto Tripod and pro ball head takes up a bunch of room in my day pack! My main goal is to keep plenty of water on the outside of the pack! I am thinkning of getting a collapsible film reload tent to reload my backs, but I am not sure how much film I can expose reasonably in 5 hours. I really wish I had a second RB Pro s body for this hike.
    Congrats on getting into the Wave! We're going this May, and were lucky to be selected out of over 500 applicants for that day. Take lots of water - I understand it's a long hike in and out. And of course, there's no water available anywhere in the area. We'll be "hiding" a gallon or two of water along the way to drink on the way back, plus we'll each be hiking in around a gallon to drink there. Make sure to bring some food and sunscreen as well. The sandstorms can be pretty bad too, so be prepared for 50+ MPH winds.

I would think about taking a little gear as possible due to the weight. You shouldn't need a changing tent to change your 120 film - just use your body to shade the film from the sun when changing and you should be fine. I'll be taking my Hasselblad with the 50mm, 80mm, waist level finder, tripod, meter, and two backs - one for color and one for b&w.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Scott,

If you want to contact me via email or give me a call I can help you plan for the trip.

Let me know,

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by smcclarin View Post
    I just purchased 3 month in advance tickets for 2 people (7.00 each) for one day access to the Wave in Coyote Buttes

Google search images link:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...w=1571&bih=768

It is on BLM land located on the border of Southern Utah and northern Arizona (6 mile wilderness hike with only 10 people allowed per day) late in July, its going to be hot but wonderful! I will be hiking my Mamiya RB 67 system with Ilford Delta 100, and Fuji Velvia 100 and 50 if I can find it. Is there any other film I should consider. I have 6 backs 3 in 6x7 the rest 6x4.5 in working order but only have 4 darkslides, and one functioning instant film back. I am really excited to do this day hike. I have rigged a belt case for my Soligor Spot meter and am set up for BW with a B+W Yellow #8, and Tiffen #25 Red filter, and some color work without filters. Want to get a clip on lens cover for the soligor though

wish me luck!

Are there any tips for hiknig medium format cameras on moderately difficult hiking trails?

The RB system with 50mm and 90mm and a 2x Tele adapter + a Manfrotto Tripod and pro ball head takes up a bunch of room in my day pack! My main goal is to keep plenty of water on the outside of the pack! I am thinkning of getting a collapsible film reload tent to reload my backs, but I am not sure how much film I can expose reasonably in 5 hours. I really wish I had a second RB Pro s body for this hike.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I have measured with my mapping software at work that it is a 3.5 mile hike and the access road from I-80 is close to 8.2 miles long. The hike includes off angle sandstone up to 25-30 Degrees of slope in some portions as you approach the wave area.
    I understand that people with bad or weak ankles that will want to pay attention to every step once they are on side sloping slickrock for 1/4 of the distance.
    My wife is not a camper so a hotel room after will be mandatory.
    Google earth helps alot with previews, examples, angles and ideas (but you do become aware of what has been done before and I dont want to duplicate).
    we do plan on a large light umbrella and some small collapsible chairs during the heat as there seems to be no indication of shade around the wave and I am looking for a good large brimmed hat. (any recommendations?) Light comfortable hiking shoes and sunglasses with shorts and a shirt with a rain jacket in the pack is mandatory of course.
    We only have Sunday to access this place so our plan is to hike in before dawn work like mad in the good light, and explore shadows and high contrast compositions during the day and hike back in the subdued light of the evening (wife will be itching to leave by then where as I could stay till after dusk happily).
    I understand Buckskin gulch, nearby, has wonderful opportunities as well, would it be worth a repeat trip?

Thanks Robert, I will pick your mind when i get some time away from work!
    have been reading about variable contrast printing and am excited for your workshops this summer!!

I am slowly discovering that my favorite part of using Film comes from thinking more about the whole process in the journey and not just the destination of an image.
    "Often you will discover in life, that temerity yields little that quiet observation and decisive action can!"

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Rich, which lab is it? I have been going to Replicolor to process my film untill I am set up to develope at home. Currently demolishing my basement to build a darkroom, and simply cant wait to see my negatives.
    "Often you will discover in life, that temerity yields little that quiet observation and decisive action can!"

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    The best wisdom came from throwing all of my gear in a bag and hiking it all over creation only to realize all of those items I didnt use and probably wont really need. Realizing I may only need a 50mm lens with a 25A filter for BW and two film backs instead of the 90mm + 2x Tele extender + 5 film backs + 2 instant pack film backs, and every filter I own, and 10 rolls of velvia 50 and 10 rolls of Fuji Acros, + 10 boxes of Fuji Instant FP-100B but I was prepared for a week long shoot instead of 8 hours that turned into 3 because I forgot to pack lunch. Sometimes wisdom requires hindsight when seeing requires more than believing at a place like the Wave. Awe inspiring. I would have shed 5-8 lbs of weight if I knew then what I know now, and brought lunch as well. looking foreword to going back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin