Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,010   Posts: 1,524,630   Online: 1006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Minneapolis F stop swap this weekend

April 14th And 15th at the Brooklyn Park Community Center. 5600 85th ave N. Minneapolis if you are interested.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll revive this year old thread.

Stopped by the camera show yesterday afternoon on my way back to Mpls. I didn't expect a whole lot but even so was disappointed - even for a guy with rampant G.A.S. Largely the same old stuff by the same old sellers at the same old prices. There were some nice Canon RFs there, but under glass so I didn't bother to check them out. A couple of Leica Ms (which I never bother to check out). Very little medium and large format. Very little darkroom stuff.

There was one seller that I hadn't seen before that had a few nice wood field cameras with vintage lenses. Another with a 90mm Raptor WA for $150 - I thought that price a bit high.

Fewer sellers than I remember from past shows (although did not go to the ones last year). Few attendees when I was there. I don't know the numbers, but I can't see the show remaining profitable unless something changes. Too bad as, in general, these shows are a great way to browse and buy.

Personally, I think they'd be better off making 1/2 tables available to individuals for a single day at a lower cost. Make lots more "stuff" available. Add some variety between day 1 and day 2. Basically, mix it up a bit.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello MGB.

I was there shortly after opening. I would agree with your assessment of the swap. The seller you refer to is Osma. He had a Fuji GSX680 complete with WL/Prism/AC power supply & a digital back (missing a cord) for $400. I really had a terrible time passing up this camera, luckly a good friend bought it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have to wonder if other shows in other cities are as moribund.

If not, is it because of the market here or something else. Frankly, I don't see how it's even economically viable for out of town sellers who have to cover travel expenses (not to mention at least 2 full days standing behind their tables).

I didn't see any of the folks from National Camera at this one either.

Years ago I used to rent 1/2 a table (I think it was $20 at the time); as much to get first crack at stuff as to sell stuff. But I don't see many of those sellers now. Obviously Craigslist is a factor. The rapid obsolescence of digital equipment is a factor. But there must be more to it than that.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You guys gotta come to Denver. The semi-annual swap meet is fantastic. And never having stopped to wonder why, like mgb74 says, there's hardly any digital.

May 5, Jefferson County Fairgrounds. See the invite in the Denver forum.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    I have to wonder if other shows in other cities are as moribund.

... Obviously Craigslist is a factor. The rapid obsolescence of digital equipment is a factor. But there must be more to it than that.
    Here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, there used to be 6 of these things a year, every other month. Two in Dallas, two in Fort Worth, and two in the "mid-cities" (between D and FW). Now there are two a year, and they are about 1/10th the size of any one of the 6 shows in the 1990s.

I don't think digital is as much a factor as Ebay and Craigslist. Ebay seemed to be the first element that coincided with the diminution of these shows.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin