Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,555   Online: 1056

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MN State Parks

Shooter
    Multi Format

MN State Parks

Hey Minnesota APUGilists! I just noticed we now have our own Regional Group forum. But no threads in it....until now.

Recently there was something in the Mpls. StarTribune about MN state parks listing the five most visited and the five least visited. How about most photogenic? Which of our state parks is your favorite for photography?

I'll answer my question by saying that Banning State Park is my favorite, though there are many others that I also enjoy. I have photographed at Banning in spring, summer and fall, but not yet in wintertime.

In springtime, it is the wildflowers and ferns that command my cameras' attention, and landscapes with "spring colors" in the trees - that mix of green shades before summer's more uniformly colored foliage. My summer visits are less frequent. Then I'm mainly after particular plant species.

Banning is one of my favorite of all locations during fall color time. The combination of brilliant red maples and the rocky shoreline of the Kettle River has made for some great photo ops. I also like the scenes along the river after all the leaves have dropped.

So, for me it's Banning. Which of our state parks is your favorite for photography?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't forget our beautiful river, shared by our cousins the Wisconsinites.
    Route 35 on the Coulee side, Route 61 on the Bluff side.
    http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/alma/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We just got back from a trip that included Blue Mound State Park. May was not the best time for their but we might try it again in July.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    JJ,
    I too like the drive along the Mississippi. Any particular parks you can recommend from the southeast? I have yet to make it to Great River Bluffs S.P. It appears there are some great vistas there of the blufflands and Mississippi River valley.

Bruce,
    Early July should be good for blooming prickly pear cactus against the red rocks. Hope you do color!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might drive South of the Twin Cities on highway 61 which runs close to the river once you get to Red Wing or Lake City. Lots of eagles there. In Winona there is Garvin Heights which offers a high level view of Winona, the River and Wisconsin. Stop by Winona State University and walk about; it is the most beautiful university park in Minnesota.

Cross over to Wisconsin in Winona and drive back up North on 35. Go to the overview in Alma, stop in Nelson for great home made icecream, continue North to Stockholm. There is a lot going on and it's beautiful. On sunny Sundays it sometimes looks like a sportscar rally.

If you see a yellow Ferrari Dino, that's not me.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Wild River State Park about a hour north of the cities, is along the St. Croix. For some happy reason not over crowded with people. It was sad to hear the "Devils Chair", in Taylors Falls, was destroyed by some idiots. A landmark that will be missed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hey you minnesotans. How's them vikings doing this year? hahahaha

I really like tettegouche state park. I saw more view cameras there than anyplace. Just north of the campground entrance is a little bay called Crystal Cove. Absolutely beautiful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I passed through MN on my way to OR when I was younger, and spent a night camping at Great River Bluffs. I camped in state and national parks the whole way there and back and I don't think I saw anything more stunningly beautiful.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Boundary Waters + Quetico

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The landscapes here are all over the place. The rolling hills in the south Amish country, the western plains with their forever skies, The Northshore holds it own anywhere. Boundary waters even with the blow down and fires. Numerous farm scapes, ships that are from any country in the world (Duluth). 4 great river systems many tributaries. Any and all of these places wether Spring, Summer, Fall or Winter. And I could go on and on.

With this I'm hoping to get Steve Simmons to notice us so he will bring the next View Camera Convention here

I'd boost alot more except for the Vikings, well I'm a packer fan anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin