Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,675   Posts: 1,481,930   Online: 1089

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

C-Prints in the Twin Cities

Just wondering if anyone knows of someplace to get medium format C-Prints made around the twin cities. I contacted Pro-color but they scan and then print...

Thanks

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ethylphenethylamine View Post
    I contacted Pro-color but they scan and then print...
    I think you will find that the case pretty much everywhere these days. There are only a few labs left in the country that print optically, off hand, the only one I know of is in Flagstaff, Arizona, but I'm sure there are others. FWIW, I scan and print all my work.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Digigraphics still does actual C-prints (and B/W prints, too). You do have to specify that's what you want, though.

They're on Minnehaha at about 27th.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks zenrhino. I'm in contact with them now...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At the risk of blasphemy, I'm going to say that there is nothing wrong with a good scan and print from a reputable outfit. A good place will perform a high quality scan, then print on RA-4 paper; giving you a real C print. You still get real a real photographic, silver based print in the end. The results can be better than an optical print. Don't let the often poor quality you see from the 1 hr. places put you off.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yeah, I have been trying scanning 3000 dpi with an Agfa Duoscan then printing with a HP Photosmart 8150. They look fuzzy Most likely because they don't sit totally flat in the 6x9 neg holder! And I really don't like how the whites clip out in the digital world, but again that may just be user error...

Perhaps a pro scan and print may be alright tho...

I'm just thinking as long as I'm paying might as well go with a C-Print (unless that is much more expensive - which it very well might be).

Maybe I should just go to grad school to get access to a color darkroom again

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photos, Inc. or Digigraphics (dear child bears many names, Photos, Inc was bought by Digi a couple of years back). ImageTech on Hennepin used to be THE place to go for some real quality work, but they went out of business.

Ethyl, the digital process when properly done is really good with color work, you'd be surprised at the density range they can capture with modern devices. Although I like an optical print better, simply because of the craftsmanship involved. A labor of skill and hopefully love for the craft.

Photos, Inc. does great work, really good. Their chemistry is always fresh and top notch. You should visit their facility some time. It's a nice outfit.

- Thomas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow! An 11x14 C-Print is about 25% cheaper than a digital print...plus another 9$ for the scan.

That is surprising...

Thanks again for the recommendation!

Although Tomas, are you suggesting that the density range of the scanned print may be greater than that of a C-print?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I am suggesting that. I used to work for ImageTech mentioned above, and their x/y scanner (Scitex Eversmart) was no match for turning out a very long range of density compared to the standard prints. However, the master printer Pete was still able to make the c-prints look better somehow. He was good. I miss his work.
    - Thomas

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin