Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,433   Online: 1029

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Gim

Evan, Our campsites are all in a row so there is plenty of help around. I'm in no hurry and can sure help.
    Jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Huge loss, I was really looking forward to an "Evan hit".
    Ike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay, only 23 days to go until the Northern MN trip. So far we have these folks attending:-

Thomas Bertilsson
    George Minerich
    Gim
    'Ike' Eisenlord
    Marc 'FilmSprocket
    Andrew Moxom

As I mentioned in a previous message, our agenda is as follows:-

As for an agenda of places to visit, I have some ideas, and would hope others chime in with theirs so that we lock it in for good. So here goes:-

Thursday 11th. Leave Twin Cities EARLY with Thomas and anyone driving up is more than welcome to join is for breakfast at Tobies in Hinckley at 7:00am? Much like last year we will stop at various places along scenic route highway 61 as we drive up depending on light and conditions. Last year we stopped at the fish hatchery a little way out of Duluth and burned some film on the lake shore. The plan would be to meet in the park at 2pm to set up camp, plan the evening shoot and be up and out photographing at 3pm as the light starts to get better, and generally get used to the surroundings. After sun down, we can either cook on the stove, or fire, or eat out based upon preferences. Our sites have grills so all we need is charcoal and any meat we want to cook! We'll have a fire and maybe a beer or 6.

Friday 12th. Get up at around 6:45am and I can start some coffee. The sun won't rise until about 7:30am, and we can explore temperance area with different light, and then adjourn for snack and or breakfast at around 10am or whenever. There is also the nearby Cross River (next to Lambs resort) which is beautiful in the early morning light. We spent close to half a day there last year. Lunch can be on the go or prepared at the campsite. For the afternoon, I propose going South to Gooseberry State Park which was not really accessible during our winter trip as the falls and steps were completely frozen. We can then stop at Split Rock on the return to camp site drive to catch the sunset and raking evening light. Eat, either cook, or eat out, fire, drink, bed.

Saturday 13th Up before sunrise at 6:45am for coffee, hit the road and head south again towards Tettegouche State Park and explore that area for the morning. Within the park area is Palisades Head which cannot be missed! There are plenty of places here to find photo opportunities depending on how fit and strenuous you want to make it. I would suggest lunch on the fly somewhere, and then have an afternoon/evening where people do whatever they want, but meet back at camp for some more grilling, drinks and food and shooting if you so wish.

Sunday 14th. Up at 6:45am for coffee, head north towards Cascade River and explore area. Breakfast at around 10am. Continue shooting at areas of interest around here as we make our way back in the afternoon. Stop at any place along the way as people see fit. Back to camp, eat, drink, sleep. I think Ike and Thomas will be leaving for home Sunday afternoon.

Monday 15th, Up at 6:45am for coffee, Break Camp, and head south towards Silver Bay and Two Harbors stopping at areas of interest along the way. Later on in the day we could also stop at the Glensheen Mansion home of the Congdon family, and Duluth that has some interesting areas to look at. Part company, Drive home, and look forward to winter gathering :-)

I'm looking for input on any other local area places people might want to visit? If anyone has some suggestions or alternate ways to break the time up, let me know, and I will distribute.

I will PM you with my cellphone #, can others do the same please?

Thanks
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    Well..my wife and I are having a war over this trip, she insists that I am not physically up to the task so I am going to bail. I have cancelled my camping reservation so that site is available. I was really looking forward to this...Evan
    Was looking forward to meeting you, Evan. For what it's worth, I suppose this situation is better than your wife believing you're not physically up to the task,...and still sending you out. :o

I'll meet you next trip (winter?).

Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, with a little over 2 weeks to go until we head north, I'm just going to remind people about a few things for the trip. Remember that we are staying at a State Park and will require a park pass to be purchased on entry (good for a year and all other state parks we will be likely to visit on this trip and for the upcoming winter trip :-)) Then there is the potential of our weather. The summer in MN has cooled off significantly now, and our evenings are starting to get a little more damp, and cold. Fall is in the air. Which is great for sleeping with the windows open and no AC. However, up north and by the edge of the lake, things will be considerably cooler. We are all camping so make sure your sleeping bag is rated for around 20-30 deg f at least and that should serve you well. Also, those in tents will need some type of sleeping mat. (Ike, I have one or two for you.) Last year we went a week earlier, and my camper's furnace kicked in! I know that those staying in tents are right at the waters edge in the primitive sites, so it will be chilly. Also bring something to shelter you from rain, and a foldable chair for use at night when sitting around the fire. At any rate, remember to bring a flashlight, and whatever food/snacks you need. Speaking of food. Thomas and I were thinking about that this weekend. That we can cook out quite a bit and that will no doubt add to the whole outdoors experience. So I am offering up some suggestions. For breakfast, I know we are all flexible, but what seemed to work last year was get up and out early prior to sunrise (I can make a few batches of coffee prior to us leaving). Then go shoot some film until about 9:30am as the light starts to get too harsh. Depending on how close, and where we are, return back to camp for bacon, eggs, coffee, etc. If we are a fair distance away, then plan on grabbing breakfast/brunch on the fly. We then plan our next foray into the field and shoot the breeze for a bit, eat some snacks, or make a light sandwich lunch if breakfast was not enough! Then make our way to do the afternoon/evening shoot. Again, depending on where we are and how far away will dictate the supper arrangements. If we are close, then I am offering to make beer can chicken one night, and steak on the grill another night, or maybe a chili and baked potatoes?? There are also the usual hot dogs and brats if we need to. Depending on how things work out with our shooting schedule (which is the whole purpose of our trip!!) will mean that we have to be flexible on where and when we eat etc. So I realize that we may need to change plans adhoc. Then there is the option for us to have at least one group meal at a local restaurant or two? Or if folks that want to go their own way if they want to by cooking and having a fire at their own campsites I'm good with that too. At any rate, if you have any suggestions please advise. I also managed to find a place that sells Bell's Oberon in mini kegs (1 gallon) so we can keep bottles and cans to a minimum :-) I bought one, but wondered if we need a few more?? Let me know if you need me to buy more? Or just bring your own preferred flavor of beverage. On the way up on Thursday 11th, Thomas and I will likely meet up with George Minerich at Tobies in Hinckley MN for breakfast at 6am. Any and everyone is welcome if they are passing through that way? Should be a fun trip, and I am anxious to get up there and shoot some film. See you in a few weeks.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Hi Andy:
    I'll bring some (bunch?) bacon from the Foley Locker. I can get Susan to whip up a big batch of spaghetti sauce and meatballs so we can have a big meal for everyone if there's interest. That way we just have to boil water and warm the sauce. I will bring my three-burner Colman stove as well so we have plenty of cooking power. Since you’re bringing beer I will bring a spot of bourbon. We should get a final head count if we're doing a group meal.
    I can't wait!

George

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    ...We'll have a fire and maybe a beer or 6.

Friday 12th. Get up at around 6:45am and I can start some coffee. The sun won't rise until about 7:30am, and we can explore temperance area...
    Am I understanding correctly that the participants of this excursion will be consuming beer while camped on the Temperance River? How decadent!

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beer AND coffee, Joe!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you in Joe? Would be great to see you at this years trip

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would love to be there Andrew but I'm afraid it is just too far for the time I have available this month to travel. Sounds like a great time.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin