Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,427   Online: 778

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hope you folks aren't getting all this rain. You've been planning this for months. (We have more rain here today than in the wole month of August)

Stay dry.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    I hope you folks aren't getting all this rain. You've been planning this for months. (We have more rain here today than in the wole month of August)

Stay dry.

Cheers,
    I REALLY hope they're not getting drenched. After my squabble regarding the trip I would hate to hear the Itoldyousos..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It rained the first day all the way up and cleared at around 2pm when Gim showed up at the campsite. Ike, Gim, had tent sites down by the shore, and myself, Thomas, and George set up the camper on the upper park sites. By afternoon we were able to get some shots down by the shore and lower section of the Temperance River. Back to camp for some Chili and Oberon Ale, and Bourbon to warm up :-) When most of the others went to bed, George and I went back to the beach to shoot some night shots. The following morning was a stunning sunrise over the lake with breaking cloud cover and beautiful light. We came back for breakfast and played with Ik'e Verito lens on our 4x5's of some birch trees at the camp site that were well lit. Then we went off on a hike and I cannot remember the entire order of things, but we did another sunrise at Palisades Head, Sugarlof cove on the way back. Drove up to to the Oberg Trail and walked up above the pine forest canopy overlooking the lake and surrounding area. took some shots and then drove further north to Artists Point in Grand Marais. Had great fog to work with and lovely diffuse light. Sunday was a lazy day. We dinked around the campsite and it started to rain a little. Thomas and Ike left for home at around 11:30 ish. Gim, George and I laid low for a few hours while the rain cleared, and then went to the beach for more shooting. We went to Bluefin bay for food and came back to shoot the full moon. Superb views...hopefully all the film of these will turn out good! Monday morning was cool, in the 30's and Gim, George and I went up to the norhtern area of the Temperance River. Water levels were way lower than last year even with all the rain we had. So all in all, we had a great time and the weather threw lots of everything at us and we were able to exploit it and any weather changes along the way. It made for good on-the-fly shooting and gave us plently of opportunities.

Now the tedious work of souping and decipering 26 rolls, and roughly 25 sheets of film commences for me.

Winter MN gathering needs to start being planned :-)
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It was a great trip photographically as we had just about every kind of weather you could ask for other than snow. I wasn't asking for snow however!
    Some GREAT fog banks that came ripping in off the lake. The company was great and the bourbon kept us warm :-)
    Ike

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by deisenlord View Post
    It was a great trip photographically as we had just about every kind of weather you could ask for other than snow. I wasn't asking for snow however!
    Some GREAT fog banks that came ripping in off the lake. The company was great and the bourbon kept us warm :-)
    Ike
    GEEZ, FOG!! BOURBON!! I knew this would be a good venture. I'm glad you guys had a successful trip...Evan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am sorry to have missed out - sounds like a good time. Hopefully we can make it up for the next one - winter in Minnesota can't be worse than winter in Michigan!
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    winter in Minnesota can't be worse than winter in Michigan!
    Jeff, you might ask Bill about that, he was here last winter!
    Ike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, it was a wonderful trip. How often do you get the opportunity to shoot the following:
    1. Rain by the lake shore
    2. Fog by a lake shore
    3. Diffused light by a river
    4. Full moonlight shooting
    5. Glorious sunrise with amazing clouds
    It really was the full gamut of weather that could possibly occur. The rain helped keep the rocks on the shore wet and beautiful looking, and the fog - well you know, there ain't better shooting than in fog around.

Slipping and sliding on the rocks I shot 19 rolls of film with a roll film back on the 4x5, Holga, and a ZeroImage 2000 6x6 pinhole. I also burned off about 14 sheets of 4x5. I'm moving slowly through the stash, one roll at a time so I spend plenty of time with the shots on each roll before I move on to the next one.
    I'm not even done with the negs from Bill's Photostock gathering in June...

But best of all was to shoot the $hit with the guys and hang out for many laughs, and I think we managed to straighten out most of the world's problems in about three days. The bourbon sure helped that effort, and the Oberon ale, and the Two Hearted, and the Cab, and the Shiraz... Truth or lies, it all sounded good to me! LOL

Thank you Andy for doing the organization, research, and keeping everybody in line. Hopefully I'll be able to make it next year again.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by deisenlord View Post
    Jeff, you might ask Bill about that, he was here last winter!
    Damn straight! And I have the scars to prove it. It was cold like I've never felt cold before...

Glad you guys had a good trip! Looking forward to seeing some shots.

I'm in for another winter trip! How 'bout it Evan!?!?!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been thinking a lot about winter and next fall's MN trip. Don't flame me for this one as it's only a suggestion. For winter, how about including the spouses if they are up for it so they are not considered photo widows, as it may help sway the deal for some folks on the fence due to family commitments????

As for the Next Fall trip, we could go back to the Lambs Resort as they have cabins for those not wanting to camp and they also allow more than one car at a campsite!!! Just suggestions that's all.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin