Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,615   Online: 1172

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When does the ice breaker usually run through the ice at the harbor? End of February?
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Last time it froze up was in 2003 and I'll check some notes but when i got back to Duluth on Sunday the Mackinaw was just leaving Duluth harbor.
    It had come from the Sault and was returning. I think it was 1st week of March.

http://www.mightymac.org/cgcmackinaw.htm

Ike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    hey you Minnesotans: I am going to need to invest in a new pair of insulated boots this winter, especially to go up there where it get really cold. Any recommendations?

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dan, your best bet really are PAC boots. I know that Baffin makes some good stuff. Available at most Gander Mountain stores.... Try this link to their line up http://www.baffin.com/footwear/intro.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay, so far I have Evan Clarke, Bill Schwab, and Dan Henderson as definites, and Ike a maybe pending his Ireland schedule, and Randy Libersky pending canceling another trip. Thomas may also join us for the weekend pending schedule.

Dates I'm leaning towards are based upon the best moon phase allowing for potential for night shots... So Feb 5th through Feb 13th would be prime times. At this point, I would say Thursday 5th through Sunday 8th February. How does that sound?? I'm not sure whether we need an entire week. Also staying in one or two places and traveling to take picture might be better instead of having to pack up and move every day or two, but I am open to suggestions.

Right now I am thinking stay centrally on the shore (Temperance River area??) and we have plenty options in relatively close proximity. Driving to Grand Marais is not too much of a schlepp. This year, it might be good to see if we can get up to the Oberg trail, but might be a problem due to ice on the trails.

Bill, Dan, if you are flying, I could meet you at Duluth airport?
    Last edited by Andrew Moxom; 11-12-2008 at 08:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Guys, my Irish Residency has firmed up, last week of Jan though Feb, so I won't be able to make it. Bummer.
    Ike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That would be cool Andrew. I'm thinking on getting a car this time in case I stay longer. We'll see how it pans out. I have a show in Northern Michigan to Jury and I will also have to be at the open. I have to check the dates on that. I'm pretty sure it is at the end of January, but don't quote me on that.

Too bad Ike!!!! Glad the Ireland deal is happening for you though. That will be really great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Too bad Ike, but great news even if you cannot make it up north?... Bill, I am open to staying longer, just let me know.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have confirmed I can make the trip this year. Although I will have to come up on Friday instead of Thursday. I'm sure we can figure it out. The North Shore can get busy if there is lots of snow Skiing, Snow Mobiling and other activities. Do you have any suggestion on motels?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thursday through Sunday would work great for me, since I will be teaching a class on Wednesday evenings and would rather not miss one. I may have to catch a really late or really early flight to get there early enough Thursday. Andrew, what airlines are best for Duluth? And staying in 1 or 2 places works fine for me. Andrew, thanks for organizing this.
    Dan

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin