Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,955   Posts: 1,522,811   Online: 1001

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Northern MN winter trip

After a month or two passing since the very productive fall trip in Munising MI I have a hankering to get out again to photograph in winter and meet up with some friends. So I am just putting the feelers out to see who is interested in a jaunt up to northern MN for a few days. I am thinking that keeping it simple would be best by not having multiple hotels to book. I propose that we use Silver Bay as our central point as it's approximately half way up the shore and most destinations are within easy reach. Hotel of choice would be the Americinn in Silver Bay.

I also propose we follow the Photostock methodology that works so well of a Thursday through Sunday, with Thursday being the arrival day, and Sunday being the departure day. Of course this time of year will depend on potential bad weather so understand things might be fluid.

If we have enough folks, I will call the hotel to ask if we could get a group rate or not. I'm also up for splitting a room if need be? I know they have twin rooms, and that might help some folks out cost wise.

So lets get a head count and start from there.

Andy
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That sounds like a great trip idea Andy, unfortunately I'm swamped with work and holidays through January with only sporadic days off here and there so will be unable to go. Hopefully I'll get a day trip up to Banning in the next week or two.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm interested!
    Any weekend after New Years should work for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Were you thinking Dec or Jan?
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    February is tops for the Northshore. We did this a few years back and the lake was spectacular, the trip coincided with the full moon...Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm starting to feel guilty about saying no... Got a two week trip to Scandinavia for Christmas and New Year's, a March trip to New Mexico, and an April tip to New York. I'm not sure I can fit more into the early part of the year without burning up all my PTO.

Have fun guys! The lake is spectacular. Bring cleats.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was thinking February too Evan as that's the best time for ice potential.... Full moon in February is on the 7th. so Thursday Feb 9th through Feb 12th should still be fairly good. Does that sounds like a good date?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got my eye on this too, guys. I have to be away for the weekend of the 25th, so the region of the full moon might work for me. I'll have to look more at getting there, but I might have enough miles racked up to meet you in Duluth again. A lot on the plate these days, but I'll take a serious look at this soon. It was great that last time, Evan! Hope Andrew's back ailment won't make a repeat appearance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    fingers crossed on my back, there has been some improvement since the steroid shot a few weeks ago... knock on wood it continues!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin