Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,298   Posts: 1,535,738   Online: 805

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Penn Camera in DC/NoVA/Maryland declares bankruptcy

The eight-store Penn Camera chain declared bankruptcy yesterday, per this news story:

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...for-ch-11.html

I've shopped at Penn for many years, on and off as I've come and gone from the DC area, so will miss their presence if they can't reorganize. They, like nearly all other camera stores, were much more digital than film, but they did maintain some film stocks, paper and chemicals, along with an at-times robust used (film) camera section. When I called the store last evening to confirm, the fellow said that they'd be selling out some stock from the remaining stores while the employees wait to see what happens. Hate to see them go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hate to hear about that.

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was just in there the other day and nobody said boo about it - not entirely surprising that they'd not be trumpeting their demise, but that would explain the dearth of used gear in the E Street location. Part of their problem was definitely a management arrogance when it came to pricing, among other things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I buy 25 boxes of 10 sheets of 4"x5" color film from them at a time.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What a disappointment, I wasn't even aware! I feel thankful that I still have a large local camera shop that caters to film and darkroom right up the street and whenever possible, I buy from them rather than one of the online mega-retailers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It isn't just photography shops the World is changing, many of the city centre shops will disappear in the next few years because people buy on line, where there's no need to have expensive premises,overheads, and staff salaries to pay for knowledgeable staff you only need pickers and packers and a warehouse so you can sell the products much cheaper than bricks and mortar stores because you don't have the overheads, these days you can be a successful internet retailer from your spare bedroom.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yesterday, I called Chip and he said that all the film was being sold at 10% off.
    Last night when I got there the court had ordered that all film was now 20% off. I picked up the 3 boxes of 4"x5" film that Chip was holding for me. He had found one more box. With that I bought out the last of the 4"x5" black & white film that they had at the Tyson's Corner store. They were already out of the 4"x5" color film. I bought out the last two five packs of Portra 400 120 film.

Chip said that they may have more of these films available in a few days as new boxes come in from other stores. Call Chip to find out what is available had have him hold it for you.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too feel fortunate to have a local shop here that caters to film photographers. Bill Moretz of Pro Camera in Charlottesville Virginia is one of the most knowledgable and friendly people I know and proud to call him friend. He has done more to encourage me and bring up my skill level than I would expect to find in any e-trade retailer. He is also the go to guy for any camera repair and has lots of great used gear at very reasonable prices. I think one of the things that makes Pro Camera so successful is the service he offers to the film community at large. If more brick and mortar stores followed the lead here, there would be less closings. I know I sound like an advertisement, but it saddens me to hear about shops closing. When a great local camera store closes they are gone for good. No one is jumping at the chance to fill the gap left by them.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin