Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,644   Online: 1130

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have to admit though, Sirius did make me laugh with stink-jet.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OzJohn, hold a print on single weight or double weight paper and looking at it will always beat looking at a computer screen or a gloppy stink-jet print on crappy paper. If you can't tell the difference, why bother to continue the conversation.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    OzJohn, hold a print on single weight or double weight paper and looking at it will always beat looking at a computer screen or a gloppy stink-jet print on crappy paper. If you can't tell the difference, why bother to continue the conversation.
    I don't print anything except proofs on ijet so on that score I don't disagree with you. I just think that your preferred definition of a "real" photograph is way off beam. A photograph is the image created in a camera. A print is nothing more than an interpretation of that image made by a particular person at a particular time and there are countless different interpretations possible. OzJohn

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Promote it by shooting film a lot in public, any one asks abt the camera take a min to explain it and how easy it is (eg film easy avail at Amazon, drop off Walmart avail, darkroom home b/w process easy eyc). Not pushy, just chatty, etc
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Promote it by shooting film a lot in public, any one asks abt the camera take a min to explain it and how easy it is (eg film easy avail at Amazon, drop off Walmart avail, darkroom home b/w process easy eyc). Not pushy, just chatty, etc
    +1
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I disagree, a photograph is not a photograph until it is printed on paper with chemical methods. Nothing else looks like it; not a computer scan nor a crap print from a stink-jet printer.

Steve
    LOL

this reminds me of a guy who was here on apug way in the beginning
    he railed on and on about how bad the other medium was ...
    and chris jordan met up with him and showed him some of his prints
    and he never railed anyone again ... ( and actually apologized ) ...

a photograph is a " light drawing '
    and there are many different ways to do that ... some with chemicals some without ...
    i've shown things i have made with the other medium to people who were so called experts
    and they couldn't tell me which ones were made with chemicals and which ones weren't ...
    i don't think your statements are true ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    PKM-25 comment on the Is Kodak dead thread made me think about starting a thread about how we can promote film use and how Apug could help in promoting film and analogue photography.

1) Showing Kids, young adults and all other people the wonder of film and darkroom
    2) Sending in analogue photographic works to all relevant Photomags
    3) Pushing for film on professional jobs
    4) Buying Film
    5) Shooting lots of film
    etc...
    I am open for any suggestions

Dominik
    I am not sure it will matter. The sad part is that the film manufacturing segment of Kodak has been kept going the last several years by the motion picture industry. Now all of the movie houses are insisting on converting as quickly as possible to digital projection for the efficiency and cost savings. It is happening scary fast. Kodak's excess capacity will sky-rocket to the area of 80% or higher within 2 to 3 years. This cannot be maintained and so they will probably try to completely restructure this business and sell it off. The scaled down version of the operation may attempt to keep a couple C-41 films going at higher prices. Not sure how many labs will hang in there - maybe a handful.

= tommy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A local school gave me two more enlargers last week, so today, I am holding a "Free Darkroom Workshop". That is, I am hosting an acquaintance who is interested in trying darkroom work. We will spend a few hours learning some basic techniques, and when he leaves, he is taking with him a small but complete darkroom setup for his own home. It was going to end up in the trash, but this way there is a chance it will get some use. Wish me luck.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    A local school gave me two more enlargers last week, so today, I am holding a "Free Darkroom Workshop". That is, I am hosting an acquaintance who is interested in trying darkroom work. We will spend a few hours learning some basic techniques, and when he leaves, he is taking with him a small but complete darkroom setup for his own home. It was going to end up in the trash, but this way there is a chance it will get some use. Wish me luck.
    Just as a follow up, this turned into a very enjoyable and successful afternoon. A young husband/wife with a passion for photography came over and spent three hours with me in my darkroom. They left with their own prints, an enlarger, trays, timer, safelight, etc., all of which were surplus to me. They were heading straight for the photography store to pick up film, paper and chemicals. All in all, a great day in service of traditional photographic techniques.

BTW, that's how you promote film use.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well done, Tom!

On a smaller scale I've been trying to do the same, by introducing some friends and acquaintances to the world of film based photography I've successfully added a couple of enthusiasts to the ranks of practitioners. I'm very proud of that, and continue to support them with a lens here and there, some film, or maybe a few trays or something.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin