Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,941   Posts: 1,557,534   Online: 1143

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213141516 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interestingly enough, this probably would not work in Rochester due to lack of interest.

IDK why.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Tom what a great story! Warms the heart for sure!
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm

Kids are asking for film cameras

We went to my parents' house last night. On the way home, my daughter commented that she'd like to try my SLR because, as she put it, "Digital is okay, but your film pictures are pretty." After we got home, my son commented that he'd like a camera like mine so he could take pictures of his pet dove in flight with wing detail. And of course he totally loves projected slides. Guess I better put some money in the budget for a couple SLRs with a good lens for the kids!

ME Super

Shooter
    Multi Format
    we have put on a show here in london. we are a new analogue pro-lab and we asked our clients to choose a neg for us to print, more than 50 images
    we had 500 or so people at the opening (the free beer may have helped) and interest from national press, local radio and the british journal of photography.
    the spin was that almost all the work was recent thus proving that film use was still relevant in a variety of situations, hopefully the printing proved the point too.
    obviously it was a huge pr excercise for us but also for the medium.
    we also have darkrooms for hire and offer courses for kids etc via http://www.fourcornersfilm.co.uk/
    here are a few links:

http://www.labyrinthphotographic.co....february-2012/

http://wayneford.posterous.com/a-yea...tion-of-the-ph

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...xpires_in=4574
    Labyrinth Photographic Printing
    121 Roman Road, Bethnal Green, London E2 0QN
    020 8709 9961
    http://www.labyrinthphotographic.co.uk/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Make videos on you tube why you like film so much…this guy tim haines did it and is attracting some curiosity. Think about it, this kind of promoting may light a few switches in the minds of younger individuals who want to get into photography but don’t have a small fortune to spend on a digital system.

People who are more into artistic photography will eventually turn to film and stay with it (if they become aware of it). There is no comparing the satisfaction you get or the beauty of a print made in the darkroom to a digital image from Photoshop…but you all know this of course. The trick is to make others know this as well. The best way to promote something like this is showing your passion for it to those who will listen.

Ken Rockwell’s Web site promote film use, whether intentional or not. He gets a lot of newbie viewers so there you go…

We should stop saying “film is not dead” it’s like saying “I’m not stupid” it just makes most suspect that you are.

Finally, maybe people will get fed up of buying new cameras because the one they have doesn’t work with their new computer or the battery is discontinued or that the LCD screen went blank…whatever. Maybe they will get fed up of just burning up all their money continuously trying to keep up to date with technology and it’s frivolous upgrades. Maybe, just maybe they will realize that the benefit of digital is outweighed by its drawbacks…or at least some may.

If film is discontinued completely, I will buy a plate camera and make my own custom emulsions, I just like the process too much. In fact I see this as my next step up sometime soon.
    Last edited by Alexis M; 04-05-2012 at 12:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format

Tourist attraction

Last fall, I became a tourist attraction myself, on a free day following a business trip to Las Vegas. I took my lightweight 4x5 (Toyo carbon-fiber field camera) to Valley of Fire state park to shoot red rocks. When the tour buses full of European tourists arrived after the good light, some of them took pictures of me with tripod and dark cloth. As others posted above, I allowed interested onlookers to look at the ground glass under the cloth and explained why it was inverted.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Interestingly enough pretty much all the hottest young editorial photographers I've discovered lately seem to be shooting mainly or exclusively film, some are even using large format. And yet the film-is-dead-myth is still perpetuated, it's very weird.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by amsp View Post
    Interestingly enough pretty much all the hottest young editorial photographers I've discovered lately seem to be shooting mainly or exclusively film, some are even using large format. And yet the film-is-dead-myth is still perpetuated, it's very weird.
    OK, like who?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    OK, like who?
    For example...

http://jakestangel.com
    http://www.markmahaney.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The most frequently asked question or observation?

"Is that a film camera? Can you still get film for that?" *

The second most frequently asked question or observation (usually accompanied by sad, downward-looking eyes)?

"I'm sorry. All I have is this digital camera..."

Ken

* I refuse to play the smartass since I realize the questions are asked in good faith. But sometimes I want to answer "No actually, you can't" just to see how long it takes to register.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin