Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,065   Online: 751

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 378910111213141516 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had an interesting conversation with a fellow educator who also teaches inner city school kids photography. She was gripping about the quality of the small digi-snappers that were allotted this year (one was a vivitar point n shoot). I had remarked that film cameras were very affordable on the entry level and even offered the use of some cameras and the darkroom, because the photos though ok were of very poor resolution and color rendition. The response was a very big No way! I was a bit surprised, she herself admitted she was a long time film photographer with b&w, and that it was very lovely but it was convience of editing and the instant viewing of images that were important to her.

I find that's with many of my friends too, many all want to learn but few commit, with cameras that just sit and gather dust. But they will snap away with their phone and throw a few filters on the images. It's just the convience of it all they say.

This past weekend's WSJ review section had a massive spread of cameras and lenses that took up more than half the front page of that section. The majority of them film cameras from leicas to mediumformat bronicas. The article was about iPhone camera apps. Yea I know, I felt a bit sick too after reading a bit of it. Again it was about convience.

Truthfully I don't think using a film camera is that much more work. The quality of the work in return is more than worth the time spent developing and printing it. And for beginners it establishes a firm base of knowlege and understanding. I'm doing my part by stressing this fact, as well as teaching and helping in any way, to get students shooting film and working in the darkroom. This past winter term, I've taught a group of about 50 students on b&w films and paper as well as an intern from the ground up. They love the darkroom and I'm glad they are learning so quickly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    I had an interesting conversation with a fellow educator who also teaches inner city school kids photography. She was gripping about the quality of the small digi-snappers that were allotted this year (one was a vivitar point n shoot). I had remarked that film cameras were very affordable on the entry level and even offered the use of some cameras and the darkroom, because the photos though ok were of very poor resolution and color rendition. The response was a very big No way! I was a bit surprised, she herself admitted she was a long time film photographer with b&w, and that it was very lovely but it was convience of editing and the instant viewing of images that were important to her.

I find that's with many of my friends too, many all want to learn but few commit, with cameras that just sit and gather dust. But they will snap away with their phone and throw a few filters on the images. It's just the convience of it all they say.

This past weekend's WSJ review section had a massive spread of cameras and lenses that took up more than half the front page of that section. The majority of them film cameras from leicas to mediumformat bronicas. The article was about iPhone camera apps. Yea I know, I felt a bit sick too after reading a bit of it. Again it was about convience.

Truthfully I don't think using a film camera is that much more work. The quality of the work in return is more than worth the time spent developing and printing it. And for beginners it establishes a firm base of knowlege and understanding. I'm doing my part by stressing this fact, as well as teaching and helping in any way, to get students shooting film and working in the darkroom. This past winter term, I've taught a group of about 50 students on b&w films and paper as well as an intern from the ground up. They love the darkroom and I'm glad they are learning so quickly.
    Get them early, a child will look in wonder at a monochrome print magically appearing in developer, I was taught at school and the first thing I bought when I got a job was a low cost darkroom set up. Sadly though we are in an age of instant gratification, my brother (a barrister) has drawn up papers for me to get anyone to sign after our daughter is born stating no f***ing camera phones, we detest the things.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Look at the Japanese Fuji website they seem to do a lot more to promote film there, and they even have new cameras, and decent ones to, why do they not sell those in the west?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Labyrinth Photographic Printing
    121 Roman Road, Bethnal Green, London E2 0QN
    020 8709 9961
    http://www.labyrinthphotographic.co.uk/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by labyrinth photo View Post
    Well, what I found encouraging was that not only the older and already famous photographers were still using film, but rather that some of the new and promising ones were too. It was also a statement on how much their work stands out (to me at least) because of it. Ironically in the sea of digital images analog photos look different and fresh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I wonder why neither Kodak or Fuji have done an advert like this?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I don't think it is necessary to promote film use, as the quality and history speaks for its self.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    a Kodak Portra 160 NC-2 35mm drum scanned at 12.000 dpi:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/castors...n/photostream/

Impressive quality, colour and details! A good reason to shoot (Kodak) film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I don't think it is necessary to promote film use, as the quality and history speaks for its self.
    And promoting it means to make others aware, so they will listen.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    spotted in local (to Melb) large camera retailers advert in paper yesterday... a K (Pentax) mount SLR (Promaster) with 50/1.7... almost tempted to buy one just for the hell of it!!!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin