Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,927   Posts: 1,585,155   Online: 852

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 48910111213141516 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I don't think it is necessary to promote film use, as the quality and history speaks for its self.
    Really, I can't remember how many times people have asked me, "can you still get film for that?" are are utterly surprised when I say yes.

If people don't know it exists, they won't buy it, regardless of history and quality.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been scanning this thread, many ideas, but in the end this is nothing that can be done in any larger scale.

Most people act and react and take action based on completely other parameters. Inherency is one of them, unless you have a strong urge to belong to a specific group of any kind, a thing like this is not very likely to happen.

Take Hipsters, a group with values based on being retro in a hip way, doing the right retro things, such as shoot film, amongst the people who strongly identifies themselves with the values of this group, it's going to be very easy to sell the idea of film photography to those who have not yet already picked it up.

In general, the rest of the population values the pragma of digital shooting, not even thinking about film photography as an alternative since it's not filling any higher values in how and with what and who they identify themselves. Should you mention it to them you'd get "why? its expensive, I dont see what I shoot, and it takes time to get the pictures", there's zero in the concept that reaches the core values of their identity.

One of the only potential groups of people to reach out to would be people in a certain age group that grew up with it and who may have been shooting when they were younger, who now have the time and maybe the money to do it again, there you have the emotional connection again, and this is what makes the difference.

This applies to all kind of marketing for any products/services etc.
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm brainwashing my kids. Whenever I take a picture of them, they ask me if they can see the image on the back of the camera (that some modern cameras can do), I always tell them I'm using a "real" camera. There's nothing like the real thing, right?
    - You will develop when you become an analog photographer / Exposed Material / Monochromes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Really, I can't remember how many times people have asked me, "can you still get film for that?" are are utterly surprised when I say yes.
    Just for grins, try answering, "No, sadly you can't anymore..." as you stand there holding the camera.

The reactions can be hilarious.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's kinda fun to say, "I make my own."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Summer Corn.jpg  
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I now it's moving pictures but after watching the witchery add shot on Super8mm I just thought wow this is beautiful, forget the content just the look.
    http://cinelicious.tv/we-love-film/small-formats
    No digital capture can ever look this beautiful and its made on an inferior film product, the wedding movie on this site is also beautiful and shows how film can succeed in a traditionally digital and video dominated market.

If more people came to see how beautiful film can look they might choose film over digital capture (maybe). Due to the overstylized look of today's blockbusters few people get to enjoy the genuine film look. It's no wonder people can't see the difference between film and digital if 99% of all blockbuster look plasticky and overprocessed in post.

Kodak should also never have introduced vision 3 no grain is a sin not a virtue.

Dominik

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Just for grins, try answering, "No, sadly you can't anymore..." as you stand there holding the camera.
    The last time someone asked me "Can you still get film for that?" I said "No, I just like the sound of the shutter".

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    I now it's moving pictures but after watching the witchery add shot on Super8mm I just thought wow this is beautiful, forget the content just the look.
    http://cinelicious.tv/we-love-film/small-formats
    No digital capture can ever look this beautiful and its made on an inferior film product, the wedding movie on this site is also beautiful and shows how film can succeed in a traditionally digital and video dominated market.

Dominik
    Damn, those videos made me want to go out and shoot super 8. Thanks for sharing!

Shooter
    Medium Format

Blogging!

I started a website dedicated to film and darkroom work when I gave up digital a year ago. You can see it here if you're interested. My main aim was just to encourage photographers to do the same as me. It helps when you can direct people you're trying to "convert" to a website that lets them know what it's all about.
    The Online Darkroom
    www.theonlinedarkroom.com

Kav

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yesterday I did a photo demo. I was invited to an art walk as one of the artists. I was going to be the only photographer, and I wanted to make photos but do it fast enough to keep the interest of people milling about. So I shot portraits with my 4x5 Speed Graphic on a photographic paper that makes a positive image, then developed them on the spot. For the most part they turned out pretty good for exposures working there way to the 15 second mark as the sun was setting. The reception was better then I expected. I got word that people were telling there friends to "go see the guy making photos at the end of the street. I also brought out my Hasselblad, 35mm Nikon Cameras and a Nikonos-V. One young man was just beside himself to get to play the the Hassy. I got to talk to a few old timers about how they shot Speed Graphics back in the day, and the kids liked watching the whole process from getting everything on the ground glass to poring "stinky stuff into the magic black box" and waiting a few minuets for a photo to come out.

Here's a few:

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin