Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,556   Online: 1116

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 610111213141516

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    WHY SHOULD WE PROMOTE FILM USE? IS THAT NOT THE JOB OF FILM MANUFACTURERS?
    I think that's about what is happening right now, they are doing their math, and according to the figures there's no business for them continuing manufacturing film.

So why bother... (like you say too)

(Hence this thread, in order to try to discuss how to make film more interesting for people, and make sure the film manufacturers still continue manufacturing film, so we who like film can keep shooting and not have to completely abandon ship and go digital only....)

Go figure *facepalm*
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    35mm
    The best way to promote film use is using film. When inevitably someone will question about the reasons for doing it, instead of using digital technology, instead of giving sarcastic answers just explaining the pros of film would help a lot.

Nobody ever succeeded by preaching a Gospel by scoffing at the unbeliever. Give a virtuous example and be prepared to encourage virtuous behaviour, simply.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Medium Format

How to promote film use?

As for promoting film use, Michael Raso, through his Film Photography Podcast and associated Film Photography Project website, holds monthly drawings for working film cameras he's acquired through donation and gives away film. There is also an FPP photo pool on Flickr.

The URL is www.filmphotographyproject.com

Dieter Zakas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    PKM-25 comment on the Is Kodak dead thread made me think about starting a thread about how we can promote film use and how Apug could help in promoting film and analogue photography.

1) Showing Kids, young adults and all other people the wonder of film and darkroom
    2) Sending in analogue photographic works to all relevant Photomags
    3) Pushing for film on professional jobs
    4) Buying Film
    5) Shooting lots of film
    etc...
    I am open for any suggestions

Dominik
    Over the course of the last four years or so, I have actively pursued "options" 1, 4 and 5. To wit: I have started two nephews and my lone niece in photography by providing each with a Nikon (an F2, F2 Photomic and F3HP respectively) and introduced each to the various emulsions still available. Nephew #1 is a Velvia and HP5 shooter, #2 shoots a number of Kodak C41 products as well as PanF and Delta 3200, and my lone niece is gaga over Tri-X and HP5. All are capable in the darkroom (B&W only) and all shoot regularly. And to warm the heart, nephew #1 and niece both refer to film as doing "real photography"; digital is for "fooling around" shooting stuff that really doesn't matter. BTW: all are under the age of 21.

For my own efforts, I continue to shoot film/digital (E100G/E100VS/Velvia/PanF/FP4/Tri-X/HP5) in about a 95/05 ratio (digital serving as a sort of de facto "polaroid" or sketchbook).
    An assortment of F-series Nikons with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In my opinion it's unlikely that in a film revival, you would take business from the digital world, but compliment it. I suspect that most of the members here also shoot digital. For myself, I use digital for color and film for monochrome. Maybe my partial color blindness has to do with that.

Part of the lure for me is the darkroom aspect of shooting film. I get little pleasure shooting anything and sending it to the lab, save maybe slides and since KodaChrome is gone, I have lost interest in that.

If you have any friends even remotely interested in photography, talk up film and put a film loaded camera in their hands to try. If you have access to a darkroom, get them in it to develope and print the film.

If you have children or grandchildren, show them the magic. I've been buying and cleaning up some old (but good, reliable) 35mm cameras to give to my grandchildren as they get to the proper age.

While slightly off topic a bit, we have to encourage the manufactures to continue producing our products. As much as it pains me to say this, maybe by chasing the lowest priced products (surplus, discontinued products, etc) we may be discouraging the top manufactures from continuing manufacturing.

Along the same lines, if you have a local camera shop, please support them by purchasing from them if you can afford to do so. I just got back into film a few months ago because of encouragement from my local camera shop. I was purchasing a Nikon D800 (sorry digital) camera from them. In passing, I asked the young sales lady where I might dispose of my old unused darkroom equipment and commented it probably wasn't worth anything since film was dead. She (God bless her) said, why don't you start using it again, saying they carried supplies and that the schools still use film in photography classes - and here I am.

So that leads to another idea. If you can find any local schools with photography classes that don't cover film, why not volunteer to come in during a class or two to put on a demo or demos?

Last (I promise) would your local newspaper be interested in an article about film still being alive? That might be ironic given the way newspapers are dying!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the best way to promote it seems to be just by using it..

i recently acquired a bunch of argus a's/af's and some pre 60s ( maybe pre 50s )
    120 cameras ... plan on arming my kids with them and seeing what happens ...
    its the kids that will need to be promoted to, not adults who couldn't care less.
    the world is full of people who couldn't care less ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 225725_10151552019179223_61263793_n.jpg  

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Www.filmguerilla.com
    Www.filmguerilla.com/blog

That is how i promote film and classical photography.

You can follow us on facebook, twitter, tumblr

Www.facebook.com/filmguerilla
    Www.twitter.com/film_guerilla
    Www.filmguerilla.tumblr.com
    FILM GUERILLA
    Film Photography All Day, Everyday!

FILM PHOTOGRAPHY BLOG
    FG Blog

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | GOOGLE+

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
    Well it was calling a digital camera a pussy camera. I share all these memes here . A lot of people do share them, so they do get exposure beyond the page.
    Hahaha nice one there!
    FILM GUERILLA
    Film Photography All Day, Everyday!

FILM PHOTOGRAPHY BLOG
    FG Blog

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | GOOGLE+

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 610111213141516

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin