Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,540   Online: 1050

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cliveh of course the test of time will work in films favour as 99% of all digital content will be lost in the next say 50 years and that's one of the reason why I consider politicians and TV managers support for digital so shameful. BBC doesn't accept documentaries shot on film anymore, why because it's doesn't work with their cheap HD encoding algorithm. At every lecture and at every discussion about the long term storage of digital and analogue image material I take part in I tell people to use film because otherwise their work will be lost. Digital long term storage is 30 years at best digital long term storage on film is up to 500 + years.

Film and the rosetta stone (disc) are the only long term storage devises for digital data believe it or not.
    The claim 200 years + life expectancy of certain printer inks is in my opinion pretty close to fraud.

So in my case

6) Promote film as the cheapest and best long term digital storage devise

Dominik

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    PKM-25 comment on the Is Kodak dead thread made me think about starting a thread about how we can promote film use and how Apug could help in promoting film and analogue photography.

1) Showing Kids, young adults and all other people the wonder of film and darkroom
    2) Sending in analogue photographic works to all relevant Photomags
    3) Pushing for film on professional jobs
    4) Buying Film
    5) Shooting lots of film
    etc...
    I am open for any suggestions

Dominik

Altough I like PKM-25 and respect his dedication, let's say that he could start by not letting his kodachromeproject forum agonizing and die, maybe then he could give lessons?

Just a thought.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Chrysostom
    Shine like light in the dark world ... you wouldn't have to say this if you life really shone. There would be no need for instruction if we let our deeds speak.
    [...]
    how should we convince them of our faith? Through miracles? Miracles won't happen any more. Through our behavior? It's bad, though. Through love? There are no signs of it.
    Although John Chrysostom certainly didn't speak about photographic film, he is spot on when it comes to promotion of ideas.

Shoot good pics which shine within nowadays spring flood of imagery. Make people want to shoot like you and they will come. Help them get started if they come.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Occupy digital?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I promoted the knowledge that traditional methods still exist by convincing the director of the local art institute to require that all exhibitor's "photographs" be labeled as to the type of photographic print. Over the last 10 years everything shot with a lens had blurred into just "photograph". Unfortunately that director left, so I will probably have to start all over again with the new one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tjaded View Post
    I'm doing my part...I opened an analog only photo store! Who knows if it even will register as a blip on the radar, but I'm trying to keep film going strong in my little corner of the world.
    My wife has a business trip to Pleasanton Monday through Wednesday. I was thinking of hanging back and getting things done around here, but then I read this and *just* booked the flight, I am coming to see your shop.

Look folks, I am tired of the negativity, I prefer the kind you can print from if you know what I mean.
    After spending 4 hours on the road, networking with other photogs and venting to a friend of mine over a cup of coffee about the other thread, I checked in and saw this. So thanks for taking my rant seriously, I think we all know what is at stake here and that we need to REALLY get into action.

I take this very seriously and very personally, I don't want to be a photographer in a world where my only option is digital. PM my Tjaded, I will be in Oakland Monday afternoon, but would like to meet up on Tuesday, Tri-X and Leicas in hand...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Altough I like PKM-25 and respect his dedication, let's say that he could start by not letting his kodachromeproject forum agonizing and die, maybe then he could give lessons?

Just a thought.
    Oh, I can very much appreciate this, I have had a very busy year and really want to get my book out but I know the site can transform into a whole new realm, not for me, but for everyone else. About a month ago, I did a day long shoot in trade for web services just for the reason of totally revamping the site.

Hang in there NB23, I am only one person and I am trying to figure out where to go with it next..
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You would be surprise at the number of people who want help in devising a sink line Kodachrome process. some of them are very elegant. This might revive some Kodachrome things.

PE
    Last edited by Photo Engineer; 01-06-2012 at 11:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    You would be surprise at the number of people who want help in devising a sing line Kodachrome process. some of them are very elegant. This might revive some Kodachrome things.

PE
    PE, I certainly hope that one of them is successful. Processing for Kodachrome stopped before I bought my first film camera and I would love to have a chance to use it one day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I am ever able to get a job that leaves me more discretionary income, I would love to go around to fleamarkets and pick up a few basic manual or AF film bodies paired with 50mm primes and give them to friends with a couple of rolls of B&W or C41 and offer to process/print/scan it for them. It's way more fun than pulling out an iphone.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin