Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,022   Online: 862

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Digital long term storage is 30 years at best digital long term storage on film is up to 500 + years.

Dominik
    It is too early, as yet, for definitive proof that either of these assertions is correct. OzJohn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    However, in a stretch, if Film vanishes, how many of you really want to learn how to make it? Really. For your own use?

Practically no one wants to. Out of the APUG membershop of over 50,000, I find about 50 people interested. What kind of interest is that? I think that the really serious users here number around 500.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not something I'd do solo, no. If a few other folks locally wanted to get together and work on it with me, I'd be a lot more willing to put some effort into it.
    Otherwise, I'll use my film cameras as long as they're viable, then they'll go on the shelf... taken down at intervals to exercise, of course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess each of us can do his/her little bit of promoting. I already converted a couple of photographer friends to film simply by showing them how beautiful the colors come out, what you can get with a medium format camera instead of an APS-C sensor, or how the unique structure of a BW film grain can add to the aesthetics of the picture. After shooting digital for some time (which gets rather boring) they came to recognize and appreciate the qualities of film pretty easily.

I never thought of my occasional film promoting as contributing to saving the medium, but merely as sharing with friends what delights me. Nevertheless, if everyone would help just one friend discover the qualities of film, the market for analogue photographic products would practically double, which is no small feat. Think of that.

I also discovered that another attraction of analogue photography were the cameras. The mechanical perfection of an old SLR, with its gears and chromed parts has its charms, unrivaled by the home-appliance look and functioning of a dslr. From my experience, probably the main obstacle that prevents people spontaneously considering film as a viable option are the perceived costs. Paradoxically, analogue is seen as more expensive than digital, although for an amateur it is much, much economical to shoot film.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Old Leica cameras are promoting themselves to use them and only way is film. I think Japanese cameras killed the film.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    When I exhibit or publish my work it is clearly labelled as "silver gelatin print from original large format negative" in the catalogue or wall panels - Also I stress the benefits of silver jelly in interviews - The words "traditional quality" seem to strike a positive note

Being derogatory about digi-squirt prints is, I feel, likely to be counter productive in this case - Especially when compared to the disgusting way Australian politicians crap on about each other, but I guess that is the same everywhere - TV News about the current USA Republican nonsense gets muted - Actually I mute all TV political news - I digress

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm in my 35 year teaching film based college photography. I am experiencing 40% of the students that registered for the class don't have film cameras only digital.

Through donations of cameras and outdated film. I am able to give students equipment to continue with the course and if they wish can keep the camera to continue film photography.

I bring in cameras from my collection and demonstrate Widelux medium format and large format cameras too spark interest in other formats besides 35mm.

I purchased a Lomo 360 degree Spinner for students to try and have fun with and its successful. My next purchase is to get a sprocket rocket to lend out to continue the exposure to panoramic photography.

I require all students to shoot at least one roll of 120 film I'll lend out the cameras either TLR or Folder or even a holga . I use outdated E6 film for a optional crossing processing assigment.

In addition I give eveyone a Freestyle catalog

Any converts I can make to film I feel is one small step in keeping film around another day.

Personally I shoot film every day, street photography and in my studio shoots I shoot both film and digital exposing my models to film photography they tell me I'm the only photographer who shoots film I use three cameras digital 35mm and medium format.
    Last edited by mds721; 01-07-2012 at 05:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Buy it, use it, speak about it, blog about it, teach about it, be creative with it, show your work, help friends getting started, develop their films. It's so much we can do.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Welcome aboard. I love you idea and drive.

I won a gallery and we find that selling digital prints is very difficult. On the other side of the coin, analog photos seem to march out the door. I wish you luck, Don

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I meant I own the gallery, sure as hell didn't win it. Don

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin