Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,240   Online: 1035

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I live in a small village (3,500 inhabitants) where myself and (at least) two other guys shoot film. Nearby there's a school (graphic) where analog photograghy is one od the subjects. Analog photography is not dead. At this stage we should play our parts shooting,buying,promoting. At the moment i'm buying,shooting,developing. Maybe in the future i'll be adding something more.
    Digital natives know very little about chemical photography. But most of them seem interested in the whole process. I'll start from there.
    Ciao

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    However, in a stretch, if Film vanishes, how many of you really want to learn how to make it? Really. For your own use?

Practically no one wants to. Out of the APUG membershop of over 50,000, I find about 50 people interested. What kind of interest is that? I think that the really serious users here number around 500.

PE
    True, the thought of making my own film is a really daunting prospect, and I'm not likely to take that up any time soon. I think, thought, that you would find a lot more people interested in other hand-coated processes, some of which negate the need for an intermediary film stage between the subject and the final image.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been reading this thread in the context of another thread here about hybrid processing, and one point I think should be considered is that to promote film use, more flexibility in the acceptance of the hybrid will be required. For someone just starting out, working with negative scans may be more practical, and some shooters may stay with that workflow and not get into darkroom prints, but they are still buying/shooting film, using film cameras.

J.S. Bach (and many other composers of the period) wrote a lot of lovely music for the viol, a fretted, flat-bowed ancestor of the modern violin. Viols aren't too common today, although some early music groups use modern copies, and as a result this music is often performed on a violin. Perhaps not as authentic as if it were played on a viol, but at least the music is being kept alive. I believe this is an acceptable compromise, just as in mind mind a hybrid workflow is OK with me, if it keeps people buying and shooting film.
    Nikon 35mm, Mamiya 645 & RB67, Leica IIIb, other bits and pieces

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As of 1st Jan 2012 I started a blog about traditional film photography and darkroom work. I'm deliberately writing it in turkish since my aim is to motivate potential new enthusiast in this part of the world. I'm naively thinking that I'm doing my part for the future of film and the darkroom, but honestly, I don't hold high hopes.
    www.geldurkal.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've just come back to film after a 20-year absence and am currently setting up my darkroom. I've suggested to my camera club that I give a talk later in the year (when I have some more recent experience) about film photography, since I realised that many of the newer members have only ever taken digital photographs; and that probably fewer than 10% have ever done their own development and printing. I'll also be taking some silver prints along to meetings instead of the now ubiquitous projected jpgs. I'm hoping that a couple of club members will be inspired to make use of my darkroom and do some of their own analog work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMeadows View Post
    I've been reading this thread in the context of another thread here about hybrid processing, and one point I think should be considered is that to promote film use, more flexibility in the acceptance of the hybrid will be required. For someone just starting out, working with negative scans may be more practical, and some shooters may stay with that workflow and not get into darkroom prints, but they are still buying/shooting film, using film cameras.

J.S. Bach (and many other composers of the period) wrote a lot of lovely music for the viol, a fretted, flat-bowed ancestor of the modern violin. Viols aren't too common today, although some early music groups use modern copies, and as a result this music is often performed on a violin. Perhaps not as authentic as if it were played on a viol, but at least the music is being kept alive. I believe this is an acceptable compromise, just as in mind mind a hybrid workflow is OK with me, if it keeps people buying and shooting film.
    Hybrid systems is the only way that photo labs have been able to stay in business.

Since by far the vast majority of film purchases are processed through labs where scanning is intrinsic to their services (and part of the mini-lab machine systems now almost ubiqiuitously) the need to accommodate that in order to promote film use is fundamental to the effort. If labs don't scan, they go out of biz, and with it the processing. Even if the shot is analog, much of the use will be digital, including dry prints which are the norm. There is nowhere near enough market through home darkroom processing and optical printing to sustain industrial roll, cartridge, and sheet film production.

The lab systems long ago accommodated this reality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    .... I am only one person and I am trying to figure out where to go with it next..
    Now imagine 55K+ members and 1.1 million posts.

Welcome to Sean's world!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take good pictures, use the net.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMeadows View Post
    This is exactly right, even when someone makes a print in the darkroom, they want to promote / show it. Even well known fine art is shown via the web. There should not be as dark of a line drawn in regards to APUG and hybrid photo, it is not doing anyone favors here.

What this site needs is to do the following:

1. There could be a looping slideshow of some of the best new analog work out there on the home page, but there is not.

2. There could be a more flavor forward feel of the content of the images in analog being easily detected by the new forum reader, but again, there is not. For example, if there is a topic on pushing Tri-X, then a site algorithm should select a random image tagged with that criteria and list it as the subject icon. All images, all the time, the home page is starkly opposite in this regard, I personally know half a dozen people who have been driven away by the billion word, small font appearance of it all.

3. Perhaps lock out the forum topics from non-paying or visiting site users rather than the very things that are not only to bring in more potential film users but more paying site users, THE PHOTOS.

I would pay $50-$100 per year for a site like that mentioned above.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just found this on rangefinderforum "Put your Kodak Moment on CNN
    http://ireport.cnn.com/topics/726798?hpt=hp_bn1

Dominik

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin