Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,096   Online: 859

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast
    MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format

How to promote film use?

PKM-25 comment on the Is Kodak dead thread made me think about starting a thread about how we can promote film use and how Apug could help in promoting film and analogue photography.

1) Showing Kids, young adults and all other people the wonder of film and darkroom
    2) Sending in analogue photographic works to all relevant Photomags
    3) Pushing for film on professional jobs
    4) Buying Film
    5) Shooting lots of film
    etc...
    I am open for any suggestions

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do 4 and 5. When doing 4, I meet with frequent pathetic looks from camera shop owners/clerks who go out of their way to apologize for not having much film anymore. When doing 5, I meet with looks of either 1) envy or 2) amazement and comments about the old fuddy-duddy and his old fashioned cameras that he still plays with. For the record, I don't consider myself an "old fuddy-duddy" at all.

If the list separates 4 from 5, then add a 6) Processing lots of film. I do that too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm doing my part...I opened an analog only photo store! Who knows if it even will register as a blip on the radar, but I'm trying to keep film going strong in my little corner of the world.
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    tjaded like your Idea film and (root) beer this has got to work. First we weaken their senses with beer and later we get them to buy film

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My daughter's after school program frequently brings in folks to host science related projects for them. I'm planning to help Zoe build a
    pinhole camera and take a few photos with it for her next show-n-tell, and if it goes well, I'll talk to the after-school folks about building
    a few more for the kids to use... and materials for the older kids to make their own.

I think a really killer way to promote film would be to have a subscription and/or rent based darkroom setup, maybe base an analog photo club around it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Every time I set up my 8x10 in public and then patiently answer dozens of curious questions* I'm promoting film use. Camera setup is always the beginning of an improptu free public seminar.

Ken

* And also let anyone who asks go under the darkcloth to see just what the mystery is all about. Heck, I even carry a small step stool in the back of my truck just to accomodate the kids who invariably want to look.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's great how a dark cloth brings out the interest in people. LOVE IT!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know if I showed you guys these, or if it was some other forum... but look at what I saw as I drove home from work earlier this week (don't forget to rotate your head CCW 90 deg):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Los Angeles-20120103-00014.jpg   Los Angeles-20120103-00015.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've been buying cheap 35mm RFs and SLRs (relative to their price 10 years ago), handing em out to friends and family, have them send me the rolls to process and print/scan, and after a roll or two, most have started their own regime.

First dime bag ought to be free, my Oakland friend reminds me.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think the test of time will show the value of film. As digital replaces 99% of photography, leaving film photography in the same context as a fine art, people will wonder why 170 years of chemical photography produced such wonderful images which can’t be replicated by digital capture.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin