Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,748   Online: 772

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    Which of these solenoids should I get? 1" travel, continous is what i'm guessing.i'd like to keep it under $35 if possible.
    I'd like 12v but I don't know how big of a 12v battery would be needed.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#electric-solenoids/=fr188h
    They seem to list the power consumption in watts and offer two different voltage ratings. You could determine the current by dividing the watts by the volts; e.g., a 6 watt solenoid on 12 volts would draw 0.5 amps. That's a pretty significant current -- no transistor radio batteries! Probably C or D cells, or maybe a rechargeable sealed lead-acid gel cell battery, would be suitable candidates. I would be a bit concerned about the mechanical interface too. A really powerful solenoid with a long stroke could possibly damage the shutter. This might suggest some sort of spring or other stretchy element to separate the solenoid motion a bit from the shutter trigger. Or perhaps some adjustable stop could be used. Those old mechanical self timer accessories typically had a sort of telescoping fitting with lock ring adjustment to set the actuator stroke depth.

This could turn into quite an exercise -- though perhaps fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You could always get an old graflex solenoid and hook it up to a few batteries on a wire, or even to a small RC transceiver? They also have screw in self timers that you can use for large format.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    You could always get an old graflex solenoid and hook it up to a few batteries on a wire, or even to a small RC transceiver? They also have screw in self timers that you can use for large format.
    I actually scored a graflex solenoid so i'm going to give it a shot. As I said in my original post, I have zero interest in those screw in timers. I had one, it lasted 10 minutes and isn't any where close to what I need.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As said before, I like the toy RC car or plane controllers, it'll work just fine for this.

Radio Shack or any 99¢ store toys will do.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Howdy,

I have been thinking about this as well. I am wondering whether I was to combine this:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tubular-d...item256adae6a1
    with this:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REMOTE-SH...item4600fb7c52
    it would be enough to trigger a heavy shutter, like those found on a Koni-Omega
    Just a thought (not exactly sure how the Graflex solenoid would work, though....I am looking at being able to use such a setup for bulb or timed exposures.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a used graflex solenoid and tried it out today with a 3v battery. There's not that much movement (maybe 1/4") and it's a pull not a push as I was hoping for. I've looked at some RC controllers and servos and that's what I plan on using when I get around to it.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I also found some 9V push pull solenoids on ebay as well. I am thinking of getting that remote controller and one of them and a bunch of hose clamps.....it should work!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can build your own, here are the instructions

http://www.instructables.com/id/Remo...utter-Release/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by curlyfry562 View Post
    You can build your own, here are the instructions

http://www.instructables.com/id/Remo...utter-Release/
    pretty complicated for a guy like me.
    I'm looking into this again but have decided to go the bluetooth/iphone route for more versatility and a smaller package that I can always have with me. I'm going to go with an rc servo, RFduino or arduino with a bluetooth shield.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let us know how you do. I've been thinking of something similar for putting a pinhole camera next to a flower and triggering when a butterfly lands, or next to the hummingbird feeder, etc etc...

My idea was much lower level and lower tech than what's been mentioned so far with microcontrollers and iphones and bluetooth. I was thinking an adjustable 1-shot schmidt trigger (maybe just a 555 ) activated by a comparator attached to a $1 FM radio... and one of those 1-transistor fm transmitters to trigger it... but I'm still in the "mulling over" stage....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin