Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,159   Online: 832

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I want a wireless cable release! Who can build one?

I've brought this up more than once in the past but never asked anyone to build it. There are enough smart folks here who can rig all sorts of things with electronics and cameras. Here's what I need:
    1. A shutter release that terminates with cable release threads on the end of a 16" flexible wand so it can connect to most any mechanical camera AND fire copal shutters while attached to something like the hot shoe socket.

2. It must be wireless up to 100ft, it could use an existing electronic sender/reciever (like a remote household switch) or from scratch.

3. The ability to set times from 1 second to 30 seconds and also function with a copal shutter's T mode (hit button once for open, once for closed).

4. will function in cold weather, below freezing if need be.

I know there are mechanical gadgets that come up on ebay which attach to your cable release or screw directly into the shutter. I'm not interested in those, at all.

Who's gonna build me one and how much will it cost?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was thinking of this some time ago but never got around to it so I just bought a cheap, long pneumatic release driven by a bulb that you squeeze. Certainly no temp problems with that!!! This may help:

http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot...?topic=14715.0
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one of the releases you speak of. works ok but not wireless and doesn't like to uncoil in cold weather, not good for my application.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    I have one of the releases you speak of. works ok but not wireless and doesn't like to uncoil in cold weather, not good for my application.
    Okay. Just bear in mind that wireless releases have temp problems too. I have a remote thingie that has to be warmed before you can use it in the winter, even if only around 32F or so.

Anyway, this can be done.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    it would be a pretty simple project with a microcontroller and a bluetooth modem. the question is how small do you need it to be? haha.

but may i be so bold to ask why you want to do this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
    it would be a pretty simple project with a microcontroller and a bluetooth modem. the question is how small do you need it to be? haha.

but may i be so bold to ask why you want to do this?
    it doesn't have to be tiny, the size of a coke can.
    all sorts of reasons.
    1. There are shots I'd like to take with me in them, not portraits, just a tall skinny guy in frame somewhere.

2. several hour exposures at night- I do them but have to get up out of bed in the middle of the night to open/close the shutter.

3. it doesn't exist, yet.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What about a simple mechanical delay? That'd be a lot simpler.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mechanically connect the shutter release to a relay, controlled by BT. The tough bit will be writing the app to control it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    There is more than one R/C shutter release on the market. They do work well.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    There is more than one R/C shutter release on the market. They do work well.
    Jim,
    Okay, care to post a link?

everyone else,
    fyi, I'm not using strobes.
    again, I don't want to build it. I'd like to buy it. please read my original post.
    Last edited by wildbill; 01-09-2012 at 12:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin