Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,782   Online: 720

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am sure that the motion picture film is part, if not all, of the "commercial" film.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    The reorganization doesn't make much sense--other than to reassure investors that *something* is being done. There are some contradictions--film may not be the (big) future, but it's still a profitable unit. My understanding is that the bulk of film is sold to motion picture companies--so how would that fit into a consumer division? This is the classic rearranging of deck chairs on the Titanic.
    If you read the Kodak press release, the consumer film is going to the consumer division and the cinematography film and pro film is going to the pro division. This seems to me more about doing something and removing prominent mentions of film from their P&L.

Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree that this press release may seem weird, but it is weird only if you expect Kodak's management to suddenly develop a rational and realistic plan after a decade of denial and clueless maneuvers.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clay View Post
    ... suddenly develop a rational and realistic plan ...
    In any large corporation?? Please, Clay, send some of the stuff your are smokin', snortin' or chuggin'!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Like many so-called re-organisations, this may appear to be "doing something", but does it add one penny to sales or profit or save a penny on costs? (And what about the costs of the re-organisation itself, and the dis-heartening effects on staff morale?) IDK, I only ask...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When Steve jobs came back to Apple he reduced the areas that Apple was involved in. He eliminated 15 of the 19 products that Apple made and broke it into 4 divisions, Desktop computers for home use (iMacs), desktop computers for professional use ( mac towers like the MacPro), laptops for home use (MacBooks), laptops for professional use(macbook pros). This was pretty much all Apple made until he introduced the iPod.

If Kodak could focus their business and push what they do really well instead of chasing a market in which they are a small and over classed player, they have a chance. Kodak was always good at innovation, they should invest money into R&D and then sell or partner those technologies with the major players in those areas.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yet another icon imperiled--Twinkies!

http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post...4-d5d2257b7594

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

If Kodak could focus their business and push what they do really well instead of chasing a market in which they are a small and over classed player, they have a chance. Kodak was always good at innovation, they should invest money into R&D and then sell or partner those technologies with the major players in those areas.
    Kodak has no money. 30% of their current operational costs are being covered by debt (secured bonds). They have to sell their R&D to keep the lights on.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Yet another icon imperiled--Twinkies!

http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post...4-d5d2257b7594
    People finally getting tired of eating crap? ....or maybe they're all dead already.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Very little consumer business left

A couple of weeks ago when I researched this, figures from 2011 suggested motion picture film made up more than 95% of what Kodak manufactures and ships, and mass-market camera film (the kind you and I use) was less than 5% and dropping fast. A few years ago it was closer to 97% consumer film, 3% movie.

Fuji continues to compete with Kodak in both areas but its film division has lost money continuously for many years.

The movie business is going digital faster than anyone expected. All of the movie camera manufacturers which supply Hollywood (and Bollywood) have discontinued their non-digital cameras, and installation of digital projectors in US theatres has now passed the 50% mark.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin