Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,500   Posts: 1,571,614   Online: 1250

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I thought you meant that but the real Mr H died in the 80's so I was confused and only just realized you must have meant in the movie the actor was at his first screening. I thought you were saying you went to the screening of the movie and in the theater box you saw Mr. H appear... Haha a ghost perhaps? Lol can ghost filters change light waves? Does ghost Magenta really exist? Hehe...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

My apologies, not very well written. Although he was famous for putting himself in unobtrusive background positions. Peter Jackson has done the same in one pic to my knowledge.

"Hitchcock" (the film) is interesting but apparently not very accurate, needs must if you're constructing drama, I guess. The period cutting room is spot on though, no German flatbeds in those days but machines for MEN: Moviolas! (I'm joking folks, the famous editor Verna Fields must have been a whizz on the machine of champs.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    All of the theaters in my area went digital. Now, I just won't go to the movies.
    Same here. The last local movie I went to see looked like crap. And I had to pay through the nose for the privilege. No more.

You know, I have access to a beautiful Remington portable typewriter. A 1930s pedigree, I believe. Belonged to my grandmother. It still looks and shines like brand new in its original travel case. Maybe I should drive it down to Portland and let Blue Moon have a go at it.

Then use a (real) keyboard to type a (real) letter on (real) paper using (real) ink, and mail it from a (real) post office to the local theater manager and complain. And CC the head of the theater company—using (real) carbon paper—while I'm at it.

Think they'd be deep enough to get the symbolism??

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Petition to support 35mm movie projection

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Same here. The last local movie I went to see looked like crap. And I had to pay through the nose for the privilege. No more.

You know, I have access to a beautiful Remington portable typewriter. A 1930s pedigree, I believe. Belonged to my grandmother. It still looks and shines like brand new in its original travel case. Maybe I should drive it down to Portland and let Blue Moon have a go at it.

Then use a (real) keyboard to type a (real) letter on (real) paper using (real) ink, and mail it from a (real) post office to the local theater manager and complain. And CC the head of the theater company—using (real) carbon paper—while I'm at it.

Think they'd be deep enough to get the symbolism??

Ken
    My mother used to type transcriptions for the courts when I was a child and I would help collate the pieces and play with the carbon copped after they were used, fun to draw on the back and get a "negative" of carbon hehe, it's a shock I still have trouble reading a negative since I was making them by hand as a child lol

We had a typewriter for "corrections" but a fancy IMB AT and line printer for the carbon sheets since it actually had a pressure head (I think micro pins to form letter shapes) for printing. The typewriter was fun, it was a sphere/ball head with the letters all surrounding the sphere, I was fascinated at how fast the ball would spin/rotate, and press as I typed. Sad they don't make the ink ribbons for those old machines anymore. I still have the computer, the printer, but the typewriter was replaced by a plastic electronic smith corona... Wish I still had the old typewriter...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    I haven't gone to a movie theater in more than 10 years and in the over 20 years span I've been to the movies like 3 times. So there is no difference to me how movies are made or presented in the theater. I watch a lot of movies via DVD, Bluray or on TV and there is no advantage for 35mm film there. So why I shoot 35mm film in my still camera and love to still have film to use them, I can't say I want to support 35mm film in movies.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Petition to support 35mm movie projection

Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I haven't gone to a movie theater in more than 10 years and in the over 20 years span I've been to the movies like 3 times. So there is no difference to me how movies are made or presented in the theater. I watch a lot of movies via DVD, Bluray or on TV and there is no advantage for 35mm film there. So why I shoot 35mm film in my still camera and love to still have film to use them, I can't say I want to support 35mm film in movies.
    Lets put it this way, if movies stop using 35mm film, there won't be any made, they are the only real income source left that keeps any 35mm financially feasible... That's why you should support it...

~Stone

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thought I'd revive this thread to discuss what has changed in the last year and what changes are still coming for 35mm movie projection. Many of my area cinemas have already switched to digital projection. Actually I thought that by now, all cinemas had to switch; didn't realize that film prints were still being distributed. However, I went to a cinema a little further away last night (because that is where I picked up my date) and saw Captain America -- on film! So at least one area cinema still projects film. Do we know what the timeline is for the major studios to switch to digital?

By the way, I was very impressed with the picture quality last night. Forgot how much I prefer film projection over my local cinema's digital projections. This cinema only shows each movie once per day, so the print wasn't as worn out as the prints I've seen in some of the bigger cinemas that treat their films rather poorly and show each movie several times a day for a month straight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can't get this with digital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEFugVbzsSo
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm

A note

First -- a minor note. UCLA students spontaneously combust on their own.
    Second -- I'm a analog guy but let us face it-- the parade's gone by.
    Third -- If you want to float a petition to bring back Silent Films I will sign it.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The only way to influence film production is to buy 3 or 4 MILLION FEET of film

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    First -- a minor note. UCLA students spontaneously combust on their own.
    Second -- I'm a analog guy but let us face it-- the parade's gone by.
    Third -- If you want to float a petition to bring back Silent Films I will sign it.
    Liked that thanks.

I can recall when cinemas were next door to each other on shopping streets in medium sized towns.
    And 800m apart in suburbia, one 200m from front door.

Cine film volume peaked 1960-1970 cause cinemas started to turn back into stores and print film was the large volume part the camera negative small fraction?
    They printed a lot of film for general release and the smaller towns got to see a worn print a few months later, cept for news reels.

Last cine show I went to was Alien circa 80?

Ilford stopped cine cam negative in 2002?

Nostalgia is too painful.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin