Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,492   Online: 955

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Non F*ed up Foma 200 in 8x10?

Hello,

As my 50 sheet box of beautiful Foma 200 is drawing to a close, I'm wondering if they ever straightened out the problems they had with this film, and if it's worth buying more? I love the look, but I want the quality to be consistently excellent as compared to my previous box. I heard they had problems with scratching in the film transport, but this would not be an issue in sheet film sizes?

Thanks!
    Eric
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nobody? I know they resumed coating, but was wondering if anybodies personal experience has confirmed that is it as good as it was before?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Sorry i did not see your post. They did not solve the problem in rolls, but the sheet film is perfect!
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using Arista EDU for a few years now. At first, the 120 rolls were really curly. Now it's no longer a problem. Just got an Ansco wooden 8x10 camera and I'm considering using Foma film. B&H has 100 8x10 sheets for $179. Foma/Arista EDU film has a nice look.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too am running out of Foma 200 in 8X10, and have been told by those who use it regularly that the Arista EDU is exactly the same as Foma. What do ya'll think? Anyone done a lot of comparing? If it is the same thing I'd rather spend a bit less and get more film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it is but not 100% sure. Both are made in Czech Republic right?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RPippin View Post
    I too am running out of Foma 200 in 8X10, and have been told by those who use it regularly that the Arista EDU is exactly the same as Foma. What do ya'll think?
    Yes. Foma and Arista.EDU Ultra are in actual fact the exact same film. Freestyle has made this quite plain without actually stating it (I do not think they are allowed to say it outright).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Foma 200 8x10 film I have is in fact in it's Arista Incarnation, but for purposes of clarity, I call it what it is

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelien View Post
    Sorry i did not see your post. They did not solve the problem in rolls, but the sheet film is perfect!
    Good to hear! It's great film for the money, and 50 sheet boxes from Freestyle don't break the bank TOO hard.
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Large Format
    How do those of you who like Foma 200 expose and process it?...oh and are you contact printing or enlarging?
    I'm curious because I had a terrible time with this film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    How do those of you who like Foma 200 expose and process it?...oh and are you contact printing or enlarging?
    I'm curious because I had a terrible time with this film.
    Both the Fonapan 100 & 200 are films that need taming, it's essential to do your own EI and dev time testing to get the best from these films. They need somewhere between 2/3 to 3/4 the dev times of other films or they become very contrasty.

I use the 200 @ 100 EI and process in Pyrocat HD 1+1+100 @ 20°C for 10 to 11 mins compared to 15-16 mins for all other films. I've also used Xtol again with a similar EI and cut in dev time. The negatives are then very easy to print with good tones, excellent sharpness and fine grained. I use both the 100 & 200 in 120 and LF sizes.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin