Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,969   Online: 752

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I think America as a whole is even stupider than Kodak. We've perfected the art of shooting ourselves in the foot and exporting jobs, and of rewarding incompetence with golden parachutes and
    offshore tax havens. Where's Robspierre when we need him? A guillotine set up on Wall St would
    probably solve the problem a lot faster than a tent encampment there. Fortunately, a lot of US
    corporations are not publicly traded, and a lot of positive stuff is going on that is under the radar
    as far as publicity hype is concerned. If Kodak were to make film on this premise, and base profitibility of was is sustainable rather than on smoke-and-mirror stock value, we'd all be in better
    shape for it. Maybe this bankrupty will turn out to be a good thing in the long run, at least for us
    consumers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Good to see some legal progress being made. Chp 11 is good for Kodak.
    +1
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK, so water under the bridge, another one down....

what other T-Grain films are out there to replace TMAX 400?

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    OK, so water under the bridge, another one down....

Kodak's are not gone, may not be gone, and even if they do go won't go for some time.

Doesn't anyone understand what Chapter 11 is and means?

But to answer the question, nothing is quite like it but the closest is Ilford Delta 400, assuming you don't need it in sheets. If you need sheet film and insist on T-grain/modern film, you're SOL. I do shoot 4x5 but like conventional films just fine so I'd go to HP5+

In 35mm and 120 Delta 400 is a good film. It is grainier than TMY-2 though, though less grainy than Tri-X or HP5+, and has more reciprocity failure than TMY-2. Personally I rather like it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree with Roger, we need to remember that these films are still available.

Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Delta 400 has grain similar to that found in the tmaxes, I believe.

You might also give neopan 400 a try, in xtol.

Unfortunately, neither neopan 400 or delta 400 are available in sheet form.

But if you like TMY2, and want to keep shooting it, and can afford the investment, why not just purchase a lot of it and be happy.

If grain is the issue with the traditionals, well then consider pyro development.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Doesn't anyone understand what Chapter 11 is and means?
    Naah, they would rather piss and moan.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A little panic buying would not hurt the Kodak film division. Some cash now and a few more runs of film to restock the warehouse. It will show that there is a future for film. Maybe not the cash cow it once was but a steady income from those of us who still use film.

One of the problems of selling stock is you have to give a steady high return on investment. The stockholders cry if you ever pass up a short term profit for long term pay out. It is all about a 3 month return lately since you can just sell Kodak stock and put the dollars into the next "day trade". Now that Kodak stock will be worthless maybe they will make better decisions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just hope the Bankruptcy trustees have some knowledge of distribution channels - maybe then it would be actually easier to buy product!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No reason to panic but a good reason to consider the situation, perhaps pumping some cash to show some solidarity.

There are enough (few) film manufactures to take up Kodak's slack n very happily too. I don't see Kodak abandoning us just yet, but it is coming so put on your seat belts, this can be a bumpy ride as you know chemicals are also Kodak products amongst other things.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak sold their chemical lines to Champion a few years ago, and Champion are one of the unpaid creditors listed in the Bankruptcy filing.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin