Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,731   Online: 1052

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Slavich Paper available in the US again via Laser Reflections!!

On the thread re Freestyle not importing this paper anymore to the US, Holmburgers suggested a company in WA called Laser Reflection who supply holography materials as a possible source for us.

The other day, I contacted Laser Reflections and spoke to Bernadette who said they can import to the US Slavich photo paper!!! Give them a call/email to discuss what you would need and they can work to get it in their routine holographic order.

http://www.laserreflections.com/menu.htm
    Andy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Andy, reviving old thread here. Did you successfully order from them?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I want to know too!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yes, I placed a large order of Grade 3 and 4 matte from Bernadette. It arrives this April. The paper is only avail in traditional Euro sizes fwiw (eg no 8x10 but they have 18x24 cm)...
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Update - Slavich Unibrom 160BP single weight and double weight matte and glossy is for sure back in the US! I received my order today from Laser Reflections and all is tip top. I bought 2 boxes of 100 sheets of smooth matte normal grade (3) and 1 box of high contrast (4) all in 18x24 cm (~ 7x9.5 inches) and a couple packs of 25 sheets of 9x12cm (~ 3.5x5 inches). This paper is amazing, I love the single weight paper. Wow what great paper. I'm a big cold tone fan and this gets that super cold bromide paper black I've been looking for. It gets even neater in gold toner. I've got to try some sepia next!

Disclosure - I've no incentive or connection with Laser Reflections. I just feel that analog folks like us should promote those companies like Laser Reflections who stive to keep analog alive!

Direct link below to the Unibrom 160BP info page at Laser Reflections:
    http://www.laserreflections.com/Unibrom.html
    Andy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What developer do you use to get your coldest tones?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andy, have you tried Sepia first and then gold? I'd be interested to know what that looks like.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    noacronym - I know not your understanding of paper types, so forgive if this is a known thing to you, but Slavich Unibrom 160BP is graded Bromide paper. In the US there are only two Bromide papers avail 1) Slavich unibrom 160BP and 2) Kentmere Bromide. However, Kenmere is only avail in grade 3 glossy double weight, while Slavich is avail in single/double and matte and glossy and avail in grades 2,3,4. For the printing I most enjoy (inspired by the great work of Thomas), I find matte works best for me. Though I love a real cold, almost blue/black matte. That led me down the path of Slavich. After seeing some of the work that Andy Maxom, Mark Fisher, VaraV and Max Marinucci have done with Slavich I was sold. It is a great paper, receptive to toning, though I only tone in gold thus far.

brianmquinn - I use Liquidol, I mix it a bit hard too, it is normally 1:9 (eg 100ml to 900 ml for a L), but I do a bit more strong, which gives even better, deeper black (143ml Liquold to 857ml water to make 1L). But I figure Dektol or any other neutral tone dev would yield the same deep black, maybe it would really get deep blacks if one mixed it even more heavy like I do with Liquidol, but I have not done any other paper dev, so I am not too sure.

Thomas - I will have to give it a try, though I don't see myself doing that anytime soon, I've a long list of negs needing printing that I am going to print cold and then tone in gold (T-26). But Ive a pack of Kodak Sepia burning a hole in my darkroom drawer that I should mix up for you. Thanks for all your discussions re matte paper, it really has me thrilled!
    Last edited by zsas; 04-09-2013 at 09:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noacronym View Post
    Thanks. Does the Slovich glossy resemble the finish of the old Kodabromide or Ilfobrom un-ferrotyped? As far as the matte, if it's anything like the old non-resin coated Kodak N surface, that stuff was so dead dull you lost a zone from the top and a zone from the bottom.
    Noacronym - I have only held the glossy once and from what I remember it sure felt/looked like Ilford MGIV glossy. Though I defer to those that print with glossy to verify.

Mark, Andy M, Max, VaraV or others who use Slavich glossy, can you advise Noacrynym re the glossy look, feel, etc?

Re the matte, to me it feels exactly like Ilford MGIV matte. I find the Slavich 160BP to be extremely beautiful, far from flat! Give a look see in the Gallery for Unibrom for any of the folks mentioned above.

Edit: Below is a real scan of the print on page 1 (which was a bad camera-phone-snap). Below is the grade normal (aka 3), un toned:
    Last edited by zsas; 04-09-2013 at 02:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Andy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin