Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,475   Online: 1108

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak Tri-X 120 price increase

I hate to be a moaner. At this point I am glad that I still can buy Tri-X....but..am I missing something. At B&H, Tri-X 400 in 120 just went from $3.79 to $4.99...This jump seems a bit much more than the 5-10% that we heard about in threads like this http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/1...increases.html ....Tri-X in 120 isn't even on that list...Maybe things changed with the bankruptcy?....I think that the $5 mark is where I tend to think that a roll of Tri-X starts to push the envelope on the line of being expensive.....Nonetheless...I'm still going to shoot Tri-X and all my other films Kodak...while I still can.....

Patrick
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Boy did I get a feeling of deja vu from this.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...-increase.html

On the subject itself, I was surprised that the Tri-X 120 prices at B & H had stayed so low for so long prior to the recent increase - it always seemed artificially low to me.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I found a receipt yesterday from a 10 roll purchase of delta 100 120 size from 2002.10 rolls cost me $64.90 at a local photo store.I can get it cheaper online today than I could almost 10 years ago at the local (monopoly) store.I'm laughing all the way to the darkroom!Cheer up,we've got it good!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It takes me longer to finish a $5.00 pint of beer than it does a 120 roll of Tri-X, despite the price increase, it's still worth it in my mind...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The local Calumet still had some on the shelves for $3.99, so I took home 10 rolls figuring the next time it will be more.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    It takes me longer to finish a $5.00 pint of beer than it does a 120 roll of Tri-X, despite the price increase, it's still worth it in my mind...
    You got that right, Dan!

Shooter
    Multi Format

The beer or the Tri-X?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
    I found a receipt yesterday from a 10 roll purchase of delta 100 120 size from 2002.10 rolls cost me $64.90 at a local photo store.I can get it cheaper online today than I could almost 10 years ago at the local (monopoly) store.I'm laughing all the way to the darkroom!Cheer up,we've got it good!
    Absolutely right.

Try getting a pilot's license, which I started working on in 2006 and passed my checkride in 2008, and have flown some off and on since. Compared to airplane rental or, even more so, potential ownership, ALL my other hobbies look awfully cheap! (Even so, a middle class professional who wants to sacrifice some other spending for it can fly - it's expensive but not as much as folks seem to think. We're not talking rich here, just "mildly addled to pay that much for it." But film? Bah!)

It's also interesting to compare the price adjusted for inflation. See here:

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

That $4.99 now is equal to $2 when I graduated high school in 1981. I was the yearbook photographer. I don't recall for sure what I paid for film but I'm pretty Tri-X in 35mm (I didn't shoot 120) was over $2 a roll. Or course 35mm is usually a bit more than 120 but still, considering the demand change, we've got it pretty good.

Absolutely. And if I shoot too much Tri-X I just get a backlog of undeveloped film waiting to process (like, um, I have now) not liver problems, accidents...

Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    The beer or the Tri-X?
    Both, I think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Speaking of B&H the price for a roll if Rollei Pan 25 went from $6.49 to $7.49. One day I have some in my cart and the next day it went up.

This is all making 11x14 sheet film look really good. My medium format film usage has leveled off, all for travel now. These are the new reality.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Adorama had it for $3.75 for a long time, but I just noticed it's $4.39 now. Get it while it's still $3.79 at Freestyle...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin