Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,381   Online: 1096

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The original Oriental G was amazing stuff. I still have a few sheets of 20X24 left. The redux version has similar image tone but lacks some of the special snap and versatility. If this rumor is true, my hunch is that VC papers have finally gotten so good that a number of printers switched over. I certainly did.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I am happy for all the remaining choice we have in geletin silver papers. But I did adjust my order of Galerie as EMAKS was priced $80.00 less for a 50 sheet box of 11x14. Galerie and EMAKS graded are both premium products slightly different from each other. If you must have a white base Galerie is the one for graded papers. Its too bad more people don't try graded papers and discover their properties.
    RJ

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jepsen View Post
    I am happy for all the remaining choice we have in geletin silver papers. But I did adjust my order of Galerie as EMAKS was priced $80.00 less for a 50 sheet box of 11x14. Galerie and EMAKS graded are both premium products slightly different from each other. If you must have a white base Galerie is the one for graded papers. Its too bad more people don't try graded papers and discover their properties.

VC is great and easy, but graded still rules IMO. I try to tailor my negatives to use graded paper (and or tweak developer/development) as much as I can. Unfortunately, with Slavich out and now Oriental, choices are certainly disappearing. Galerie is GREAT, no doubt, and I'm glad it's still here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    VC is great and easy, but graded still rules IMO. I try to tailor my negatives to use graded paper (and or tweak developer/development) as much as I can. Unfortunately, with Slavich out and now Oriental, choices are certainly disappearing. Galerie is GREAT, no doubt, and I'm glad it's still here.
    How about Adox Nuance? I've no experience with it (or other graded papers for many years) but I really like the MCC 110.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    How about Adox Nuance? I've no experience with it (or other graded papers for many years) but I really like the MCC 110.
    Roger,

Never tried Nuance, but yes, MCC110 is fabulous paper.

Max

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I remember correctly, Adox Nuance is repackaged Fotokemika Emaks, which is wonderful paper.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just throwing it out for someone looking for another graded paper to try, based on my experience with MCC 110.

EDIT: Just checked Freestyle and under the description of the Emaks it says, "Same as Nuance brand and Cachet Expo RF graded fiber-base photographic papers." So it seems you are correct. Price is the same too, but in different size packages so if I wanted to try it I'd try the smallest then if I liked it buy the right one for my level of usage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just throwing it out for someone looking for another graded paper to try, based on my experience with MCC 110.

EDIT: Just checked Freestyle and under the description of the Emaks it says, "Same as Nuance brand and Cachet Expo RF graded fiber-base photographic papers." So it seems you are correct. Price is the same too, but in different size packages so if I wanted to try it I'd try the smallest then if I liked it buy the right one for my level of usage.
    Roger,

It's really beautiful paper. The different contrast grades have different speeds, so it's a good idea to tune your negatives to a single grade.
    The range is really long, so it's particularly good with negatives of fairly high contrast. It responds to water-bath treatment, works great with Amidol for example.
    The base is not as white as Ilford Galerie, but is more 'natural' paper base, and is beautiful in its own right.

As with everything, switching papers can open up a can of worms you don't really want. If you instead start with the paper + developer you normally use, print a step wedge first to see what kind of values your negs need to print well. Then tune your film exposure and processing to suit the paper. That always gives you best results.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Remember when Brett Weston had the customized license plate, "SEAGULL". He sure worked magic with graded G. I loved that paper too, along with Brilliant; but honestly, I can get prints every bit as rich with modern graded
    papers, not only MCC, but esp Polygrade WT and Kentmere Fineprint. There is always a learning curve with a new paper. Learning how not only expose but tone for that extra snap takes some experience. The exact image
    color of G in amidol + sel tone was somewhat unique. Then I learned the special qualities of Forte Polygrade,
    then Fineprint (another one with strange color until you learn the tricks - but a majestic cold tone once you do),
    then Ilford WT, perhaps the richest silver paper I have ever used. I could lay examples of all of these side by side and each type has its own kind of wow factor depending on its suitability for the specific subject matter.
    VC paper is just so much easier to use nowadays. I still use it as if it were a graded paper, since my negs are
    generally exactly exposed and developed. But when a tweak is needed, or a difficult neg involved, you've got all
    that extra capability. I miss the "good ole day" papers, but in other ways, these are the good ole days right now!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Oh... I made a typo and meant to imply that VC papers are now just as rich as graded. But I also have a fair amt of EMaks graded on hand. It's lovely silver-rich stuff that will pull-process much better than VC papers and is esp nice for portrait work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin