Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,844   Posts: 1,582,669   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Oriental G Discontinued per Freestyle

Today I ordered paper and supplies from Freestyle. The new price for Galerie, G3, 11x14, 50 sheets is $160.00. I asked about Oriental G as an alternative. The Freestyle rep said Oriental papers were recently discontinued by the manufacturer. We still have good papers but it is getting more expensive.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Be glad we're not buying ink jet ink for our prints. I just dropped $60 for some for my office "all in one" printer! Kills me.

D.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    The cost of ink is precisely why I don't print photos at home unless they're part of a DVD cover I'm making for home movies. It's cheaper to have a lab do it than it is to do it myself on an inkjet. Better quality, too. I have a friend who prints his photos at home on his printer and he's always complaining about having to go buy ink for it. I keep telling him its better to have it printed somewhere else - even at a one-hour lab.

ME Super
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    All Oriental papers are discontinued?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteZ8 View Post
    All Oriental papers are discontinued?
    This link indicates that the graded paper is discontinued, as well as some others: http://www.orientalphoto.co.jp/engli...cts/index.html
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ilford papers are among the most expensive. I'm not sure why graded is often more than VC but just glad I use VC. Still, three bucks a sheet for 11x14 ain't THAT bad. I'm paying just over $2 a sheet for the Adox MCC I use, and the same $3 a sheet for MGWT FB. The latter is a bit easier to swallow since it comes in 10 sheet boxes, and I don't use that much 11x14.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, there's another box of white gold in my freezer...that rather sucks. I actually used that quite a bit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Roger,

I can explain: Graded papers either in RC or in FB are coated and made ( and sold ) in much, much lower quantities than Variable Contrast products. Exactly the same principles apply to their manufacture and sale as to why people buy VC, we have higher wastage as a percentage of coated product and we have to hold more inventory for longer and that is reflected in a higher cost per m2. GALERIE is somewhat 'special' anyway due to silver content.

Our philosophy is very clear, that we will continue to make these graded products available to the market, but they are higher price product ranges.

Thank you for buying and valuing ILFORD Photo products.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry to hear about Oriental papers.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Hi Roger,

I can explain: Graded papers either in RC or in FB are coated and made ( and sold ) in much, much lower quantities than Variable Contrast products. Exactly the same principles apply to their manufacture and sale as to why people buy VC, we have higher wastage as a percentage of coated product and we have to hold more inventory for longer and that is reflected in a higher cost per m2. GALERIE is somewhat 'special' anyway due to silver content.

Our philosophy is very clear, that we will continue to make these graded products available to the market, but they are higher price product ranges.

Thank you for buying and valuing ILFORD Photo products.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    Figured as much, but wasn't sure if that alone could explain it.

I do appreciate Ilford and like your products very much. Until recently I wasn't much for warm tones but have been on a warm tone kick of late and have used MGWT probably 2:1 over the MCC 110 I also use, in spite of the fact the MCC 110 is considerably less expensive. Within reason I use what I like the best, not what's cheapest. I feel like I have to say "within reason" because a paper that cost, say, $10 per sheet of 8x10 I would not use, no matter how good it was. But I'm certainly willing to pay a little more for something I like.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin