Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,550   Online: 1088

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    have a look at http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=113399
    They have it for a great price, just a bit short dated

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think 7day shop will export beyond the U.K.. It doesn't really matter now for the OP as he has placed an order with Process Supplies but anyone else looking to order Neopan 1600 both within and outside the U.K. should look at Mathers of Lancashire.

Cheapest in the U.K. that I can find and Mathers will export.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    I should add that if you are prepared to order in blocks of 5 films and are within the U.K. Channel Islands or Eire then tocalosh is absolutely correct about 7dayshop. No-one but no-one will get anywhere hear matching its price

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Neopan 1600 have been available in UK all the time, but with the incredible high price. Seems that the latest price drop is because of the short expiry date. I have never seen neopan 1600 with longer expiry date than 7.2012.
    I love neopan 1600. This negative is a reason for me to keep 35mm equipement. My newborn daughter will have pictures from her birth taken on neopan 1600
    Shame on Fuji to kill that incredible stuff, shame on users not to use it...

Shooter
    35mm
    My son's birth last October was shot on Neo 1600 and all through the winter I photographed him on it.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    bowie: I think it may be related to the "buy American" attitude perhaps, check out the review sections on Tri-x and Neopan 400 and 1600 on B&H and count the number of reviews per film. You will notice that, in the US at least, Kodak have/had a serious natural stronghold.
    The Neopans, while well liked and loved by those who've actually tried it, were/are largely overlooked, at least if you count no. of reviews on B&H as a representative statistic.
    - In Europe it may be a different story, I don't know.

I've tried tri-x and the only format I can tolerate it in (until now) is in 120.
    I can't understand the ravings and attention that film gets in 35mm: IMO it's muddier grainier, has a lower detail level and worse acutance, compared to neopan 400.
    Then you have Neopan 1600, which (even though speed estimates vary, depending on the dev. used), knocks the socks off the Delta and the TMax in devs like Spur SLD. That film is being cut because of low demand(!)

I have a feeling they will cut neopan 400 as well pretty soon, seeing how "everyone" likes that dang Tri-x so much, even when Kodak is barely hanging on by their finger nails.

By the way, I did receive an answer from B&H two days ago (the mail was mis-placed to my spam-folder). They basically gave the standard answer that the film is discontinued by Fuji USA.
    - Personally, I believe it IS discontinued, because as bowie states, the exp. date is "always" 07/2012 on the few scraps found here and there.

My 50 rolls are now on the way and will be put into cryo-sleep immediately, hopefully they will last a little while beyond their due-date.
    Last edited by Helinophoto; 03-13-2012 at 05:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Helinophoto View Post
    I have a feeling they will cut neopan 400 as well pretty soon
    It's already gone in 120 - how long can a film hang on in one format? Perhaps the story of 1600 tells us as does the story of 800Z. I fear for Reala and 160S for the same reason.

I've read lots of times online how it's 'not worth' shooting 1600 as 400 pushed 'looks the same' or even looks better - well not in my darkroom. The same reasoning around the new Portra 400 will probably kill off Portra 800.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    My son's birth last October
    Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Helinophoto View Post
    My 50 rolls are now on the way and will be put into cryo-sleep immediately
    I have done the same, my refrigerator is full
    In fact, I am a good example of a person, who had been overlooking neopan 1600, since my friend gave me one roll. I have shot it months later and was blown away!
    BTW, what is your development receipt? I use D-76 and intend to try another developer. Is Xtol a good choice?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shot the births of both my children on Neopan 1600 in a Nikon F3, so I have very fond memories of this film. It does still seem to be pretty freely available. It would seem an odd film to cut as I would have thought there would be a demand for it, it's not that there is a direct replacement. Delta 3200 is good, HP5 pushed to 1600 is ok, T-Max P3200 is good but in my experience (using XTOL) neopan 1600 does just have the right 'look' for the types of situations that you would use this film in, which for me is ambient light interiors. Quite contrasty but not over the top, reasonably fine grain for the speed and just the right speed that I need.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    Congratulations!
    I have done the same, my refrigerator is full
    In fact, I am a good example of a person, who had been overlooking neopan 1600, since my friend gave me one roll. I have shot it months later and was blown away!
    BTW, what is your development receipt? I use D-76 and intend to try another developer. Is Xtol a good choice?
    I plan to buy a mini-freezer where I can deep freeze it.
    I deep freeze every film, but keep a small stock of 10 films in the fridge, to be ready for use.

The developer I plan to use is Spur SLD for Neopan 1600 and Microphen for the 400 (and perhaps do a few tests with the 1600 in Microphen as well).
    I have done tests with the 400 in tetenal ultrafin 1:25 (14 minutes) and the results were great, but I'm not planning to use Tet. Ultra with the 1600.
    Last edited by Helinophoto; 03-13-2012 at 05:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin