Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,142   Online: 1029

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Tetenal E6 Chemistry?

Hello,

Was trying to locate some E6 Stabilizer, as my Arista kit lacks it, and noticed that almost all the Tetenal E6 chemistry at B&H is marked Discontinued, and Freestyle doesn't seem to carry it.

So... Where can you get the Tetenal chemicals (Specifically the E6 3 bath kit) and more immediately the E6 Stabilizer, without ordering from Germany (if I can even do that with ORM-D?)
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I understand it, for current films:

1) you can use C-41 stabilizer for both C-41 and E6 (see http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i...p/t-47753.html) ; and
    2) this option will work fine: http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-C41-Stab.../dp/B00023JEKM
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any E6 kit lacking a Formaldehyde step will cause images to be less stable.

Kodak and Fuji include it in the kit in the Bleach Pre Bath. It can also be in the Stabilizer or Final Rinse. ALL current final rinse baths do NOT contain Formaldehyde. Therefore the current C41 and E6 Final Rinse baths will not protect your film properly.

Make sure that any final rinse for E6 films contains Formaldehyde if the Pre bath is missing.

This warning is not true for C41 films made after about 2000.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE

Do I interpret correctly from your comments that the Kodak C41 Stabilizer/Replenisher III that I linked to in my post is older chemistry that contains Formaldehyde, in contrast to the current Final Rinse chemistry, which does not contain Formaldehyde?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt;

OTOMH, I really don't know. I do know that formalin free processes used with E6 films are a no-no! Formalin free processes with C41 films are ok if the film was made after about 2000. You will have to check out the MSDS for that Stabilzer.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Any E6 kit lacking a Formaldehyde step will cause images to be less stable.

Kodak and Fuji include it in the kit in the Bleach Pre Bath

PE
    Just a heads up for those interested that the latest Fuji Hunt E-6 6 bath 5 litre kit doesn't contain formaldehyde (I checked the MSDS). I bought the Tetenal stabilizer to use as the last step. I haven't checked the bulk Fuji minilab sized chemicals - they may be different.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The pre bleach contains Sodium Formaldehyde Bisulfite in an acidic solution. This decomposes into Formaldehyde in the bleach.

There are two other Formaldehyde precursors that could be used as well. We chemists do this to confuse y'all!

Now, Fui-Hunt may have changed the formula of the kit to work more closely with their film now that Kodak has discontinued E6 films, but IDK about that.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The pre bleach contains Sodium Formaldehyde Bisulfite in an acidic solution. This decomposes into Formaldehyde in the bleach.

There are two other Formaldehyde precursors that could be used as well. We chemists do this to confuse y'all!

PE
    The only thing listed in the msds for the pre bleach is edetic acid at 1-5%. Is this one of those precursors? The bleach lists potassium nitrate and ammonia. They have renamed the last step from "conditioner" to "final rinse", the pre bleach is now "pre bleach 2" and claim the process "creates a safer and more user friendly working environment". I'm curious to know if I need to use the separate stabilizer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We chemists do this to confuse y'all!

PE
    I was already confused before you did ANYTHING Ron

J/K I've been following this issue a bit since my first home E6 was the Arista kit.
    It does cause me consternation because I had good results with the Arista kit but it seems it's not the best bet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you look at the Kodak kit with a bleach fix in it, you might see that the words "not for professional work" or something to that effect is seen on it. Even Kodak apparently made a low tier product. We knew that common bleach fix or blix formulas had defects and that is why we put so much work into the patented stuff!

All films used formalin to stabilize the dyes against fade and also to prevent the growth of mold and fungus. You see, Silver in B&W prevents mold and fungus growth, but in color film Silver is supposed to be eliminated. This is to give the best dye image quality regarding grain and color saturation. Retained silver increases grain and dulls the colors. In E6 products it also caused higher dmin.

In negative color processes, the bleach has 1/2 the burden and the fix has 1/2 the burden (so to speak), but in reversal films, the bleach has 100% burden and the fix has 100% burden (so to speack) as 100% of the silver is developed in an E6 film. This is a hard design challenge.

Now for the prebleach...Edetic acid? That is just EDTA. There must be something else in there. Now, frankly, IDK what Fuji uses but they were cross licensing things with EK in this regard. But there are 3 more possible answers. If something is below a given limit, it need not be listed in the MSDS. If it is proprietary, it need not be listed. If it is deemed harmless by some over arching government agency it is deemed harmless. And so, a secret ingredient could be Sodium Chloride at 500 mg/L. This is harmless, at a very low level and if patented is proprietary for this use and wins on all 3 counts.

Don't rely on an MSDS for a proprietary item!

And I have the patent for the use of Sodiium Formaldehyde Bisulfite in Stabilizers to prevent formalin odors. I am familiar with the need for it. You see, C41 films were updated to remove the need for Formalin, but E6 films were not updated.

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin