Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,542   Online: 1042

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Coporate boards of directors get all the breathing room they earn by means of their actions/decisions.
    Then shouldn't we wait until we see his actions/decisions before tossing dirt on the grave?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Even Eastman Kodak care a bit, they were willing to attempt to cut Eastman Double-X into 4x5 sheets for me, something everyone said was ridicules, but I asked and they said sure (for a price of course) but they agreed to work with the sheet film cutters to cut it for me and the rest who bought in.

And that order was NOT big, it was big too us but it was almost nothing to them, wouldn't even have been enough gross for a small budget indie film, let alone the net gain which was nil, so they do care, they just need to HEAR from us. Seems a lot of guys complain they don't care or don't listen, but most people don't make themselves heard... They aren't mind readers....
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    People from Kodak-alaris read this and other forums near daily, they don't have to read minds when so many here speak theirs, often it's quite ugly as is the case with this resurrected thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Coporate boards of directors get all the breathing room they earn by means of their actions/decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Then shouldn't we wait until we see his actions/decisions before tossing dirt on the grave?
    Not his actions/decisions, the Alaris BOD action/decision to hire someone with no film background for that position. I tossed no dirt any corporate grave.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sal- I took, from your "good luck with that" comment that you're less than optimistic. I'm skeptical, too, but hope they find a way to right the ship.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    People from Kodak-alaris read this and other forums near daily...
    If so, why don't they participate? They could clear up a lot of these discussions rather quickly. Ilford seems to see value in interacting with their customers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    People from Kodak-alaris read this and other forums near daily, they don't have to read minds when so many here speak theirs, often it's quite ugly as is the case with this resurrected thread.
    Ugliness is in the eye of the beholder. Those Alaris folks don't need to read these threads to experience trepidation. Ken's probably not the only one who "...wasn't going to say anything. But...wasn't not thinking anything." I simply wrote, in plain, honest English, about the irony of Alaris failing to avoid repetition of EKCO's error, i.e. its hiring of Perez, the electronics executive.

My sincere best wishes to UK Kodak pensioners, who own Alaris. I hope they don't end up like their US counterparts, but this announcement isn't very positive, in my opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dan, it's BECAUSE they don't have to read minds that they read this and other forums daily.

A modern day online forum where their customers truly speak their minds? Those product and marketing insights are priceless. Both figuratively and literally. It beats the hell out of those silly old Product Registration Cards from an earlier era that asked the boilerplate questions, "How old are you?" and "Why did you buy this product?" and "Would you recommend this product to a friend?"

I daresay that if Sean were to implement a new rule that forbade any negative opinions whatsoever regarding Eastman Kodak and/or Kodak Alaris, that readership of these forums by those entities would dry up virtually overnight. There would no longer be anything of value for them to parse. They would be in the dreaded position of hearing only what they wanted to hear. It would become an echo chamber increasingly divorced from reality.

The value that comes from the free flow of ideas only works when that happens. You might think it's ugly, but I'd bet dollars-to-donuts that truth-be-told, those silent readers wouldn't have it any other way.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Sal- I took, from your "good luck with that" comment that you're less than optimistic...
    Yes, this announcement definitely reduces any optimism I had about Alaris. It's so utterly ironic that the board of directors, in a company born of EKCO, which entered bankruptcy after handing control to a digital domain expert with no film background, would choose to repeat that error. There are certainly savants in the world, and Gerbershagen might be one of them, but why roll those dice when there are undoubtedly numerous heritage-EKCO people within Alaris who live and breathe film? You know, the ones Dan always refers to? Just to throw out a name, how about Audrey Jonckheer?

There are so many factors in the world stacking the deck against all film manufacturers that it doesn't bode well for Alaris when they turn over the company to someone who lived and breathed digital. Thus my "good luck with that" comment. I don't want them to fail, but think they have lost a significant percentage of success probability with this selection.

Dan gets very upset reading these things. To him I say the following. Reality sucks, but it's real. Your peace of mind would probably be best served by not reading the threads.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ilford is the only larger photo related company on here on a regular basis, not Nikon, not Hasselblad and not Fuji. Colleen has been on here a few times and there was ugliness towards Kodak even then, within those threads when her little green light of participation was lit.

It's never going to change is it....and young, really talented people like some of the photographers I mentor like 27 year old Adam, an ad shooter who graduated from RIT and 23 year old still-building-her-portfolio Ellie who is a Alabama grad and who both prefer film?....they are going to keep seeing this time wasting garbage and are going to keep saying, no thanks to APUG.

The bullcrap, old guard attitude here drives away soooo many super talented, film loving young people that it is just sickening....truly.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin