Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,907   Posts: 1,584,613   Online: 897

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

I don't think it is just Kodak, I bought 400 foot of Kodak cine (5222) in Nov'13 for nearly the same price as 100 foot of Kodak bulk(Tri-x), including delivery to front door after a day or two for cine, over shop counter for bulk.

The retail trade may judge the risks in stock holding high, it has a sell by date, the reseller may be stuck with the bulk...

The cine is probably from stock at Kodak distribution the reseller sends truck to pick it up, and has debit card cash in hand, pays Kodak a month later. I get 300 foot of film for free.

Of course it is not really for free the bulk reseller will order less next time, he needs turnover. And my fridges have no food in them, must have 3000 foot of film in chill. Kodak make less film.

I buy lots of film retail from the same reseller, when I pass his shop, Forma and expired when he has either (or both), frequently he sells out of Forma 400, or has no expired, but I always carry lots of film anyway.

I may be his best customer, I use a lotta film, I shoot like it was digital.

Noel

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Kodak just released their latest Motion Picture Products catalog:

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploa...uary7_2014.pdf

5222 is up to $234.43 for a 400' roll.

Duncan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    Kodak just released their latest Motion Picture Products catalog:

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploa...uary7_2014.pdf

5222 is up to $234.43 for a 400' roll.

Duncan
    Eek!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    And as before, no discount for getting the 1000' roll: $568.08 which is the same cost per foot. (Which is why I buy the 400' rolls; why suffer the extra hassle of the big roll if you're just cutting it down anyway?)

Duncan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Kodak to put film prices up.

Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    And as before, no discount for getting the 1000' roll: $568.08 which is the same cost per foot. (Which is why I buy the 400' rolls; why suffer the extra hassle of the big roll if you're just cutting it down anyway?)

Duncan
    Because this is meant for Cine folks, and cinematographers use 400 and 1,000 foot rolls interchangeably, they don't buy anymore because it's at a discount, they buy more because they can shoot for a longer period of time without having to reload, in addition the only reason the 400 really exists is in order to get into tight spaces when the cameraman can't fit the larger reels at the back of the camera, so it doesn't give any kind of reason for giving a discount for the thousand foot rolls it doesn't make sense in that world.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Because this is meant for Cine folks, and cinematographers use 400 and 1,000 foot rolls interchangeably, they don't buy anymore because it's at a discount, they buy more because they can shoot for a longer period of time without having to reload, in addition the only reason the 400 really exists is in order to get into tight spaces when the cameraman can't fit the larger reels at the back of the camera, so it doesn't give any kind of reason for giving a discount for the thousand foot rolls it doesn't make sense in that world.
    Well sure, just saying no need for us still photographers to bother with the 1000' roll. A while back I sent them a suggestion at their email address for such things: make 100' camera spools available too! It would help student filmmakers, Eyemo users, etc... AND they'd sell a whole pile of them to still photographers who don't currently know how to cope with the hassles of a 400' roll. I even pointed out that Orwo NA was doing this. Apparently that fell on deaf ears.

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eiher lose your film or higher prices, take your pick.

Jeff

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak's Motion Picture Division has the advantage of being the only game in town, unfortunately. They should be careful though and try not to price themselves completly out of the market. If you have to buy a 100 or more 1000ft reels a price increase even of only one or 10 or 20 $ can be painful especially for those few indie production that haven't moved to digital yet.

Some cameras only accept 400ft loads and smaller the Aaton Penelope and 35-III come to mind

Frobozz. Kodak serves the pro market Orwo the amateur market it would probably be more expensive or more hassle for them to produce 100ft spools than it's worth. AFAIK 100ft Spools can be ordered as special order but there is a minimum order. Regarding the Still photographers using MP-Films the amount they use is probably less than a single movie production uses.

That being said I'd rather they moderately increase their prices than that the end their production of film.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

The Bollywood movies I've seen have all been in colour. The Bollywood shoot I've watched did not seem to be on a tight budget, hybrid Arri, case full of prime optics, 3x camera people, equity extras.

All stone says is true but in addition if you have a long take or several long takes e.g. 3x 400 foot reels may leave you with multiple (3x) short ends, whereas a 1000 you might only have one short end.

So they could sell the 1000 foots at a premium.

Orwo will sell you 400 and 1000 foot with cine cam sprockets in 100 or 400 ISO so 5222 is not the only game in town. If you need depth of field the 400 is an advantage you can always close the sector shutter if you want blur.

Their film prices in UK are similar to Kodaks...

The hybrid Arri allows confirmation of a good take by the director of the real time digital output, so a rush is not as essential, and the director can rehearse takes, from the cameras perspective. The above team got the 1st run through with film in the can every time. Their lighting was horribly difficult contrasty, I was in trouble with HP5+.

Noel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, shooting movies on film is something of a luxury today. But I guess that careless price hikes could push more peope over to digital, which could lose more money they they gain for Kodak.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin