Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,933   Posts: 1,522,241   Online: 1019
      
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 173
  1. #41
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,021
    Images
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaf-Photo View Post
    Well, shooting movies on film is something of a luxury today. But I guess that careless price hikes could push more peope over to digital, which could lose more money they they gain for Kodak.
    Half of big budget films are still shot on film... Fyi
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  2. #42
    Jaf-Photo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Half of big budget films are still shot on film... Fyi
    Hence the luxury (big budget ... get it?)

    FYI I love movies shot on film so I usually check up on new releases. Three of my favourites from the last few years are The Master, Killing them Softly and Seven Psychopaths. They are celebrations of film craft (though neither had a massive budget).

    But for less monied up productions, digital has big time and cost-saving advantages.

    (I also love films shot with digital Red cameras, so I look for that too.)
    Last edited by Jaf-Photo; 02-14-2014 at 11:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Half of big budget films are still shot on film... Fyi
    Hi Stone

    That would be in colour normally?
    Only low budget or niche movies are on mono film?
    If you shoot in digital and convert to mono post your post costs might be lower, post costs hurt in digital?
    So who is using mono, must be the impoverished, micro budget movie?
    Camera man hanging around a previous production looking for a free recan?

    Noel

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,846
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Ultimately you have two choices,either pay the price or do without the product.
    Just curious Ben, why the "Captain Obvious" post after over one year?
    It makes it look like Kodak has raised prices again and they have not.

  5. #45
    MDR
    MDR is offline
    MDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Austria
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,041
    Xmas some Big Budget movies still use 5222 for effect but that's it most others convert to mono in post one of the reasons is that some market will not accept B/W movies India for instance.

    The Orwos are more more modern films than Kodak B/W but they had or still have problems with the perforations . I hope they have solved the problems.

    A recent example for digital mono is Nebraska not my cup of tea to be honest clipped highlights etc.

    Post is not that cheap in digital the shooting ratio of digital is usually much higher than on film shots the resulting time one needs to sift trough all the footage offsets a lot of the cost advantages of digital in post.

    Mono is the domain of the film student, amateur, short filmmaker, commercials, and micro budget movie and sometimes the big budget guys who use it for effect. A lot of the aforementioned use 16mm and not 35mm.

    Frankly that Kodak still produces 35mm B/W MP Filmstock is a wonder and shows that Kodak is commited to Filmmaking even at their loss. For that let me say thank you Kodak the last man standing

  6. #46
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,021
    Images
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Hi Stone

    That would be in colour normally?
    Only low budget or niche movies are on mono film?
    If you shoot in digital and convert to mono post your post costs might be lower, post costs hurt in digital?
    So who is using mono, must be the impoverished, micro budget movie?
    Camera man hanging around a previous production looking for a free recan?

    Noel
    We are talking movie stock... It's all the same... And by that I mean they aren't going to change their B&W spooling system unless they have a reason to change ALL their movie stock systems... It would cost to much to alter the workflow, ESPECIALLY for the B&W division which as many say it doesn't use as much.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  7. #47
    MDR
    MDR is offline
    MDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Austria
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,041
    Xmas Kodak only offered 35mm 100ft on S83 spools meaning Daylight spools those are a bit more expensive than the simple cores. Most of Kodak's Vision 3 emulsions are available on 200ft cores. Again it's a question of costs and 100ft 35mm simple is not cost effective. All their 16mm stocks are available in 100ft reels for the simple reasons that those are being sold and used by people. Nobody uses 100ft 35mm reels except for a few antique camera enthusiasts that is.

  8. #48
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,021
    Images
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Xmas Kodak only offered 35mm 100ft on S83 spools meaning Daylight spools those are a bit more expensive than the simple cores. Most of Kodak's Vision 3 emulsions are available on 200ft cores. Again it's a question of costs and 100ft 35mm simple is not cost effective. All their 16mm stocks are available in 100ft reels for the simple reasons that those are being sold and used by people. Nobody uses 100ft 35mm reels except for a few antique camera enthusiasts that is.
    Hmm didn't know they had vision 3 in 200 foot runs, wonder why they can't do that with 5222 then... Fits perfectly in an Alden200....
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  9. #49
    MDR
    MDR is offline
    MDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Austria
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,041
    The less used Vision 3 emulsion(s) are not available on 200ft spools. Kodak Vision 3 500T ,250D, 200T are available on 200ft spools the Vision 3 50D is not. The three available emulsions are they most widely used stocks so there is probably a correlation between size of the user base and special cuttings. The 200ft rolls are also not available as Express order that makes it likely that 200ft is a special order item.

  10. #50
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,021
    Images
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    The less used Vision 3 emulsion(s) are not available on 200ft spools. Kodak Vision 3 500T ,250D, 200T are available on 200ft spools the Vision 3 50D is not. The three available emulsions are they most widely used stocks so there is probably a correlation between size of the user base and special cuttings. The 200ft rolls are also not available as Express order that makes it likely that 200ft is a special order item.
    I didn't know 50D was even still available. Shows what I know! Hah!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin