Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,563   Online: 755

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaf-Photo View Post
    The problem is that several film producers have not adapted their products and businesses to the new realities where film is a niche and digital the main medium. They also seem to lack commitment. For instance Fuji cancelled one of the best films ever, Neopan 400 120, because they wouldn't make the investment to comply with new environmental rules.

Film would be profitable, if the producers went about it in the right way. The world would be a sadder place if we lost film to inept business practices.
    The economics, or the way those get in between, has been discussed quite a lot. Afterall it's just about the only problem there is.
    And PE pointed it out, give him a small team, a small facility; and film would be churning out... But then there are the costs of setting it all up, and perhaps lack of economies of scale.

Kodak has got a huge production facility (B38), Alaris has the smaller Harrow which could (and did) coat film. However, while EK is in the game I don't think they will have the need to make film in the UK.
    Curiously Fuji abandoned the MP market which has the potential for most volume. For sure they have a smaller facility than EK's.

Ilford is very well adapted to B&W, and then there is Ferrania who have adapted the research area of their facility for producing the film (Mirko or other German source said that).
    Inoviscoat has a small facility (could be seen as an Agfa descendant) and they coat some material for Impossible, work with ADOX, and it's possible that Lomochrome Purple was coated there. But they don't have interest in produce film by themselves.
    Mirko mentioned a base budget for color film with this company around, IIRC 4-5 million €. But I forgot what id did include.

Perhaps a future in film is working with smaller companies who provide the coating service.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
    The economics, or the way those get in between, has been discussed quite a lot. Afterall it's just about the only problem there is.
    And PE pointed it out, give him a small team, a small facility; and film would be churning out... But then there are the costs of setting it all up, and perhaps lack of economies of scale.

Kodak has got a huge production facility (B38), Alaris has the smaller Harrow which could (and did) coat film. However, while EK is in the game I don't think they will have the need to make film in the UK.
    Curiously Fuji abandoned the MP market which has the potential for most volume. For sure they have a smaller facility than EK's.

Ilford is very well adapted to B&W, and then there is Ferrania who have adapted the research area of their facility for producing the film (Mirko or other German source said that).
    Inoviscoat has a small facility (could be seen as an Agfa descendant) and they coat some material for Impossible, work with ADOX, and it's possible that Lomochrome Purple was coated there. But they don't have interest in produce film by themselves.
    Mirko mentioned a base budget for color film with this company around, IIRC 4-5 million €. But I forgot what id did include.

Perhaps a future in film is working with smaller companies who provide the coating service.
    I agree, though Ilford has said before that they are set up to produce color films they just choose not to, so in theory if all the other color film companies went kaput, they could pick up the slack if they chose to. I just know sadly they would probably make a C-41 emulsion and not an E-6 emulsion... Which is all I shoot in color.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think on reflection I would prefer Kodak put their film prices up to then stopping producing it, because that is the choice these days.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Yeah right.

The line is very thin between shooting film and switching to digital.
    Double the prices and even the most hardcore film users (like me) will switch. How will I be able to justify a 100' roll priced at 160$ or even 240$ ? That's just nuts.
    I wouldn't even think about switching at double the price. Triple - eh, I'd probably give up photography.

It's not a matter of switching. It's a matter of shooting film, or stopping photography except for family snapshots and the like. Tried digital, simple don't enjoy it. For something I don't enjoy I'm not going to switch to it just because it's cheaper. I still won't enjoy it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I think on reflection I would prefer Kodak put their film prices up to then stopping producing it, because that is the choice these days.
    But why did you comment out of the blue on a thread that had stopped being active over a year ago?
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    But why did you comment out of the blue on a thread that had stopped being active over a year ago?
    Might have been Kodak's cine film and process price increase @1stJan14 google to find letter of Nov13.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I agree, though Ilford has said before that they are set up to produce color films they just choose not to, so in theory if all the other color film companies went kaput, they could pick up the slack if they chose to. I just know sadly they would probably make a C-41 emulsion and not an E-6 emulsion... Which is all I shoot in color.
    They have made positive and negative film in the past using the both the Agfa and Kodachrome coupler style.
    But while the cheap Fuji is in most shops here there would be no market to justify the investment in E6 or C41.
    It is like 220 they used to do two film types in 220 but stopped.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    They have made positive and negative film in the past using the both the Agfa and Kodachrome coupler style.
    But while the cheap Fuji is in most shops here there would be no market to justify the investment in E6 or C41.
    It is like 220 they used to do two film types in 220 but stopped.
    If Fuji keeps going for a long while, much better.
    Also, it is the technological / R&D gap that will be lost when a smaller company has to produce the film, if they don't get the original formulas. Fuji and Kodak dropped a huge amount on resources on R&D for the film, other companies didn't. Doesn't mean they had bad film, but that it wouldn't be as technically perfect as Kodak or Fuji's. Another reason to not enter the colour market.
    I can't, for the life of me, remember how this technological regression effect was named.

As of 220, Simon stated that it wasn't feasible; Aside of the expense of fixing their machine, the backing for the film had a huge MOQ and it wouldn't payoff for 3 decades!
    And on a Ilford factory tour report (was linked on a thread here) it was mentioned that they tried to seek a partner, without success. (Kodak and Fuji have 220 finishing lines, but no mention of who were those)

As of this thread being revived... Still film increases weren't made last year?
    The "crosstalk" between EK and KA...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Aren't I allowed to make another remark after giving the matter some consideration ?
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Does anyone have any information about the rumors that Kodak sheet film is about to double?
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin