Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,106   Online: 850

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkroom317 View Post
    Does anyone have any information about the rumors that Kodak sheet film is about to double?
    Maybe that will help Fuji to sell more E-6 sheet film of course Fuji prices are going up too...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does anyone have any information about the rumors that Kodak sheet film is about to double?
    "This forum is NOT for rumors and speculation."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Aren't I allowed to make another remark after giving the matter some consideration ?
    I was still addressing the other post, I'm protective and defensive of the makers of film, regardless of brand...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    "This forum is NOT for rumors and speculation."
    Sounds unlikely anyway. They've already almost priced themselves out. In B&W there are just too many excellent choices from Ilford and now Adox (plus decent ones from Foma and one excellent, pricey but not double Kodak price, one from Fuji) to make that viable.

Color is different and would be sad but I already shoot color with a RF back whenever framing and lens choice allows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
    If Fuji keeps going for a long while, much better.
    Also, it is the technological / R&D gap that will be lost when a smaller company has to produce the film, if they don't get the original formulas. Fuji and Kodak dropped a huge amount on resources on R&D for the film, other companies didn't. Doesn't mean they had bad film, but that it wouldn't be as technically perfect as Kodak or Fuji's. Another reason to not enter the colour market.
    I can't, for the life of me, remember how this technological regression effect was named.
    well-
    - Agfa also did lots of e.g. colour coupler R&D before WWII, the good news is they lost lots of it to reparations
    - There is a gap - Ilford have not made C41 or at least their last colour neg film was send back to Ilford for processing. It did seemed competitive to Kodak's in '65. I think Ilfords last transparency film was a Kodachrome coupler type film...
    - 'dropped; is wrong 'invested to increase market share a few %' is clearer
    - commercial secrecy? e.g. Kodak would (will) have some problems moving film to Harrow anyway... I've worked in industrial production, moving a line is like reinventing the wheel, very expensive.
    - the C41 mini machines and the happy snappers (as well as cine) support our APUG community - the happy snappers use more film than we do, the happy snappers are using the cheap Fuji rebadged C41 200ISO, cause you can buy it with a purse coin, in our cheapest shops. If Fuji stop they are not going to buy Kodak C41, it is x2-3 times more expensive!

As of 220, Simon stated that it wasn't feasible; Aside of the expense of fixing their machine, the backing for the film had a huge MOQ and it wouldn't payoff for 3 decades
    feasible is the wrong word, 'justify investments to board' is clearer
    I would suggest a finishing machine repair and backing paper is trivial compared to an E6 or C41 start up, and when they stopped 220 all they needed was the repair, the point was/is if it was selling like hot cakes they would not have stopped and left Kodak a 220 monopoly, and so Kodak had a monopoly and they stopped, why did Kodak stop selling into a monopoly?
    I suggest there was and is no wholesale 220 (i.e. reseller) demand, note I considered insufficient but thought no was more accurate.
    My reseller still had 220 stocks when it was cancelled, he was pleased my group (panic) bought nearly all of his stocks.

As of this thread being revived... Still film increases weren't made last year?
    The "crosstalk" between EK and KA...
    Correct but 5222 is the only Kodak product I use, (apart from HCA)

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploa...r_Jan_2014.pdf

If they put up cine costs cause they are not selling enough at their current price point, then they will sell less cine and go out of business sooner, I can ignore 10% increase on 5222 given Trix bulk is some 4x times more expensive here, than 5222, unless I have it shipped in, but the cine people are hurt by 10%.

To stay in business they needed to reduce costs by 10%, even if you were not being superseded by a more advance product, like digital, winnowing managers, would do for starters.

If I used C41 I can buy rebadged Fuji 200 24 in any large town at 1GBP but Kodak Gold C41 200 36 at cheapest reseller 4.36GBP over the counter, bit of a hike if Fuji stop rebadging or go out of C41 (Fuji Superia 200 36 is 3.43GBP same reseller).

Noel

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Kodak,

who?

John Powers

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak is evil evil I tell you, how dare them to ask money for their products. The 10% increase is painful no doubt about it but at least they still make MP film unlike some others (Ilford could still sell their Mark V or HP5 for MP use to amateurs but they don't neither does Fuji). In fact we should stop the counterproductive bitching and moaning and start to support Kodak not only trough our wallet but also trough positive talk.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Kodak is evil evil I tell you, how dare them to ask money for their products. The 10% increase is painful no doubt about it but at least they still make MP film unlike some others. In fact we should stop the counterproductive bitching and moaning and start to support Kodak not only trough our wallet but also trough positive talk.
    If they bring back E100G I'll support them....

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stone E100g would be a Kodak Alaris product and it's for them to decide, Eastman Kodak are they guys who could produce it if Kodak Alaris wanted them to. So Eastman Kodak can't help you only the Brits can

If Eastman Kodak falls so does Kodak Alaris and there would be no more Kodak film products. The earthquake would also have a huge effect on all other film mfg.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stone, I thought you like Velvia? I like E100G a lot (still got about 15 rolls of 35mm in the freezer) but the Fuji film it was closest to was Astia (sort of between Astia and Provia in contrast, maybe closer to Astia, but with a definite Kodak palette.) The closest Kodak film to Velvia would have been E100VS which was a very good high saturation film. I always found it a bit easier to manage than Velvia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin