Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,266   Posts: 1,534,329   Online: 786
      
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 173
  1. #81
    fotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SE WI- USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,090
    Kodak is a good company, once great, until the new boss blew it. Its not the fault of the majority of workers, rather, blame the share holders. JMHO
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

  2. #82

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The highest state
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,911
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Kodak,

    who?
    Kodak, the makers of outstanding films like Tmax and Tri-X and a host of color that professional photographers like me depend on along with other commited film makers like Ilford. And all of these products I find highly affordable by the way, same price as all the others really except for Acros in 4x5.

    I support those who still serve the greater good of analog photography, not bash them or pick them apart like some juvenile. I also don't continually ask over and over again for products ( E100G ) that are not coming back, instead preferring I let my inherent talents shine with what we have left.

    I guess that is the difference between a photographer and a photo enthusiast...

  3. #83
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,855
    Regarding Ilford and C41 - note that Ilford coats C41 now, in the form of XP-2 Super (and a fantastic, under rated film it is. Once I have running water in the darkroom and maybe start stocking C41 chems again I can see moving a lot of my MF to it, except the high speed stuff I shoot on D3200.) It isn't color with a single monochrome layer but it is dye based and C41. How much this bears on the feasibility of producing color if the corporate focus should ever include that I don't really know. I'm just glad to have Ilford and their superb B&W materials available.

    Hopefully we will have Kodak C41 for a long time to come. The selection is certainly less than it used to be but, honestly, with Ektar and Portra in 160, 400 and 800 speeds I have pretty much any color neg need I have met.

  4. #84
    Prest_400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Noel
    Thanks for the deep clarification! Afterall, I posted only things that I can recall and very deep knowledge of the industry is not in the head of this student.

    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    If Eastman Kodak falls so does Kodak Alaris and there would be no more Kodak film products. The earthquake would also have a huge effect on all other film mfg.
    Indeed, would have to see if they would relocate (still) film production to Harrow. But, EK's fall would mean also no MP film and losing the economies of scale involved with intermediate products. Let's not think about it, and if/when that happens, it's going to be in a far future.

    It should be more appropiate on a KA thread, but posting it here as it's the ongoing discussion:
    As of 2 days ago, Alaris appointed a new CEO who will take the reigns in April 1 (oops, had to be THAT day? Just realised it while writing this).
    http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...e#.UwEWymJdXLt
    Saw it on Kodak's "Kodak Professional" Facebook Page.

    The future of (Still) Film seems European.

  5. #85
    jp80874's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bath, OH 44210 USA
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    3,415
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Kodak, the makers of outstanding films like Tmax and Tri-X and a host of color that professional photographers like me depend on along with other commited film makers like Ilford. And all of these products I find highly affordable by the way, same price as all the others really except for Acros in 4x5.

    I support those who still serve the greater good of analog photography, not bash them or pick them apart like some juvenile. I also don't continually ask over and over again for products ( E100G ) that are not coming back, instead preferring I let my inherent talents shine with what we have left.

    I guess that is the difference between a photographer and a photo enthusiast...
    Kodak, the company that stopped offering Polymax papers that I loved for about five years.
    Kodak, the company that started putting ten sheets of 7x17 film in a 16x20 box. Put 200-300 sheets of that in your home freezer.
    Kodak, the company that started putting ten sheets of 8x10 film in a 50 sheet box and charging close to the 50 sheet price.
    Kodak, the company that priced itself out of the ulf market unless you are willing to pay 2x the price because you can't print Azo or platinum with any other film.

    I don't really find name calling (" like some juvenile" and "the difference between a photographer and a photo enthusiast") particularly adult either.

    Kodak, who?

    The 74 year old juvenile who has been buying Ilford ever since Polymax went away.

    John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

  6. #86
    Ken Nadvornick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Monroe, WA, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,201
    Images
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I guess that is the difference between a photographer and a photo enthusiast...
    Of course, the problem with this sort of artificial distinction is that a dollar spent on Kodak products by a photo enthusiast is indistinguishable to EK's bottom line from a dollar spent on the same products by a photographer. Drawing such a line implies that the concerns of the enthusiast are somehow less important, because their purchasing dollars are worth less.

    If I am EK/KA the last thing I want to be doing right now is driving more artificial wedges into what remains of my film purchasing customer base. By this point in time I should think it obvious that every remaining film customer is worthy of my full and complete attention. From the fanciest self-obsessed professional photographer all the way down to the goofiest Lomo kid who's willing to eat at McDonald's to save more money for that cool film stuff he likes so much.

    These days they all count equally, as do their concerns...

    Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

    — Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

  7. #87
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,239
    Images
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Stone, I thought you like Velvia? I like E100G a lot (still got about 15 rolls of 35mm in the freezer) but the Fuji film it was closest to was Astia (sort of between Astia and Provia in contrast, maybe closer to Astia, but with a definite Kodak palette.) The closest Kodak film to Velvia would have been E100VS which was a very good high saturation film. I always found it a bit easier to manage than Velvia.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I like Velvia50.... Not as much 100 and not much for Provia100f.

    My thought is, it seems Kodak are trying to stay in the market. Fuji is pricing themselves out even more than kodak, so I could see switching to E100G IF it came back. Plus Velvia50 can only be gotten from japan and is a pain to find distributors and get it imported etc.

    For now I'll shoot it (V50) as long as I can but if Kodak re-introduced it, I would switch to support it rather than follow Fuji since I can't get the film I like in America...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  8. #88
    MDR
    MDR is offline
    MDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Austria
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,056
    Kodak still Film = Kodak Alaris
    Kodak Motion Picture Film = Eastman Kodak

    The price increase for Motion Picture product does not affect the still films sold under the Kodak Alaris banner in any way.

    Kodak does not care about the little guy because Kodak does not have the little guy as a customer, they have big corporations as customers some small producers, a few artists and Students. And despite their financial troubles Kodak does care a lot about the Students and the little guy Artist they receive amongst other things price discounts, EK sponsors several activities related to Student and Art films etc... EK is also the company that makes still film for Kodak Alaris. Eastman Kodak can not care about the little amateur or pro-photographer because they don't deal with them in any way except maybe a few feet of Double-X but that's it. So complaining about EK being bad because they don't care about the photo enthusiast is just BS

    If you want new films from Kodak Alaris buy Kodak Alaris film and try to get Kodak Alaris to introduce new films which is unlikely imo. If you want to ressurect old still films contact Kodak Alaris they might be willing to do so if you and about 10 000+ friends would be willing to buy a few hundred rolls of the film and that every year.

  9. #89
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I like Velvia50.... Not as much 100 and not much for Provia100f.

    My thought is, it seems Kodak are trying to stay in the market. Fuji is pricing themselves out even more than kodak, so I could see switching to E100G IF it came back. Plus Velvia50 can only be gotten from japan and is a pain to find distributors and get it imported etc.

    For now I'll shoot it (V50) as long as I can but if Kodak re-introduced it, I would switch to support it rather than follow Fuji since I can't get the film I like in America...
    Well what I'm saying is that if you like Velvia 50 (and don't hate 100, never mind the execrable 100F variety) but don't care for Provia 100F, you might not like E100G that much either. It's definitely more like Provia than Velvia, only more so - less contrast and saturation than Provia, closer to Astia.

    Personally I really like it precisely because it has realistic saturation and contrast that doesn't make shooting it in variable lighting an exercise in fill light or passing up shots, but YMMV.

  10. #90

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The highest state
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,911
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Kodak, the company that stopped offering Polymax papers that I loved for about five years.
    Kodak, the company that started putting ten sheets of 7x17 film in a 16x20 box. Put 200-300 sheets of that in your home freezer.
    Kodak, the company that started putting ten sheets of 8x10 film in a 50 sheet box and charging close to the 50 sheet price.
    Kodak, the company that priced itself out of the ulf market unless you are willing to pay 2x the price because you can't print Azo or platinum with any other film.

    I don't really find name calling (" like some juvenile" and "the difference between a photographer and a photo enthusiast") particularly adult either.

    Kodak, who?

    The 74 year old juvenile who has been buying Ilford ever since Polymax went away.

    John Powers
    Then just move on, none of this Kodak bashing helps anyone, not you and certainly not me, it's inconsiderate of other's wants and needs and I am SICK of it!!!

    60 posts ago, for what ever reason and after over a YEAR, "Benjiboy" resurrected this thread and now it is back to the same old Kodak Bashing, post after post after post, DAMN IT!

    I'm here in my office with my wife and we are mounting prints, prints that I have to sell to pay my bills, some shot on Kodak, some on Ilford. I just get FED UP with reading this garbage, it's useless and really speaks to what people's priorities are...not photography.
    Last edited by PKM-25; 02-16-2014 at 05:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin