Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,329   Posts: 1,537,178   Online: 836

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What film cameras are still available new.

I've been having an e-mail exchange on the perennial subject of how long will film continue to be available. So I'm wondering, while demand is a big part of it, we must have cameras to use it in. As so many cameras age into being no longer supported by the manufacturers as far as parts go, it's got me wondering what film cameras are still available new. Especially medium format. Am I wrong, are there no more medium format cameras being made other than plastic ones?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As far as plastic cameras are concerned if you go to the Lomography web site you can see they offer some higher end medium format cameras such as the Lubitel 166+ and the Horizon Perfekt. They maybe mostly plastic but I would not call either of these cameras plastic junk.

Also don't forget the Fujifilm GF670. It is real pro quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hasselblad 503CW and V series lenses are still available, Hasselblad H4X is the latest in the H series which still accepts a film back.

Very little plastic in the 503CW a bit more in the H4X but still by no means plastic feeling.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mamiya is still making the RZ, IIRC, and the 7 II. Some of the boutique manufacturers are still cranking out product too, I believe. And then there's the "gray area" cameras like the Ebony 23 series, which are a view camera design but built to take 6x7/6x9cm negatives on either cut sheet film or roll film with a roll film back.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Basically, a number of pro-grade cameras are still made; i.e., cameras that can be sold at a high enough price to justify limited production. Consumer-grade cameras depend too much on the economies of large-scale production.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon still makes the FM10 and the F6.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You have these guys still making cameras.

http://www.kenkoglobal.com/cameras.html

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I would hope not many, as after about 1970 optimisation of film camera design went down hill.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon F6. The FM10 is still available but is not made by Nikon.

Leica M7

Not sure about medium format. Never got into it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As far as I know Hasselblad ceased production of the 503cw in 2008 and I doubt Mamiya are producing new rz67 or 7II's either, the kits still sold in stores are most likely old stock. I would love to be proven wrong though.
    Last edited by amsp; 04-10-2012 at 01:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin