Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,293   Posts: 1,535,467   Online: 1005

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format

Kodak Endura Premiere in cut sheets a possibility

Many of us cried out when Kodak announced that Supra Endura would only be available in rolls and not cut sheets anymore. I had even written a letter to the CEO, from which I received a phone call from the head of the paper division to try to find a solution, though for just myneeds as an educator. We all assumed the reason was low volume sheet sales and Kodak did not want to bother with us anymore, and Kodak never gave us a reason. A few weeks ago, the Society for Photographic Education held its annual conference and it was attended by a few Kodak reps. We discussed this with them and they explained exactly what had happened.

Kodak and Fuji were outsourcing their cutting operations to one company in North Carolina. I use the word company loosely, because it was actually just one man cutting all the paper and packaging it. He quit. Apparently he tried to sell his business, but nobody bought it,so when he stopped offering his service to them, there was nobody left to do it. Fuji was still set up to cut in-house, but Kodak was not. They have been displeased with the qualities of the Supra Endura VC, thus leading to the optically printable Endura Premiere and they are looking for ways to get it cut and packaged in cut sheets. They recognize our part in supporting them financially by buying their stuff, which we can't do if they don't cut it and package it. There was no word on when it may happen, or even if it was definite, but it is encouraging that they are looking for solutions.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Greg.

Boy does this ever give a good indication of how small the market had become.

I wonder if Ilford could do it for them? Maybe they could trade for time on the 220 finishing machine .

I think I'm going to pm Simon.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I wonder if Ilford could do it for them? Maybe they could trade for time on the 220 finishing machine .
    I like it!

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ilford have been cutting paper in europe, but not for kodak and unfortunately the best qualty stock. it would be good to see kodak cut sheet back on the shelves.
    Labyrinth Photographic Printing
    121 Roman Road, Bethnal Green, London E2 0QN
    020 8709 9961
    http://www.labyrinthphotographic.co.uk/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is potentially great news!

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Thanks Greg.

Boy does this ever give a good indication of how small the market had become.

I think I'm going to pm Simon.
    Eh, good as that sounds, shipping it to England and then back, for something relatively large and heavy per value like paper, would add way too much to the cost, I think. But one can dream at least!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    This is potentially great news!

Eh, good as that sounds, shipping it to England and then back, for something relatively large and heavy per value like paper, would add way too much to the cost, I think. But one can dream at least!
    Ilford ship containers of merchandise to their US distributors regularly.

And I may be wrong, but I think the UK is one location that may still have a Kodak coating line (for colour paper?).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=MattKing;1331911]Ilford ship containers of merchandise to their US distributors regularly.

Not only does Ilford manage that but apparently manages to still sell the paper cheaper than they do to the U.K. customers where the paper is cut and packaged

Paper like other goods can still be sent around the world and sold at a profit. Maybe the one man operation in the U.S. who was Kodak's sole cutter was the sole cutter when Kodak paper was still being sold as cut sheets in the U.K.

If Fuji is the only company to supply cut sheets and most mini-labs in the U.K. use Fuji paper anyway which wasn't the case a few years ago, then there is only one outcome i.e. Fuji wins and has the monopoly. I wonder what happens to prices when there is only one supplier???

Maybe Kodak once thought it could shrug its shoulders when faced with the loss of the RA4 paper market but hopefully realises that it is now a market worth fighting for.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Rolls are easier to store and safer to ship, and account for most pro lab usage. Even Fuji has reduced their selection of cut sheets while maintaining virtually all roll products. During the recession
    all kinds of mfg companies tried to cut back on "redundant" packaging options. Schools and amateurs
    want cut sheet, so have largely turned to Fuji, who has kept it up to 20X24 in standard papers only.
    Not nice for guys like me who want 30X40 in polyester stock, but that's why I have my own big
    cutting table set up. The big digital printing machines generally have automated XY cutters on board.
    Somone could probably pick up one of these slitters used for a few grand and go into business!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well yeah, Ilford ships paper over here. But in this case, if it's coated in the US, it would have to make two trips more across the pond that it doesn't now. I'm not sure how much that would add to the cost, and I bet they can get it done over here anyway. Of course for Europe it has to go over anyway in rolls, and wouldn't have to come back. It was a thought, but might not add that much to the price. Color paper is already way cheaper than B&W anyway. I could live with it adding, say, 10% to the cost if it meant I could buy Kodak prints-well-optically RA4 paper in sheets again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    ...Kodak and Fuji were outsourcing their cutting operations to one...man cutting all the paper and packaging it...when he stopped offering his service to them, there was nobody left to do it. Fuji was still set up to cut in-house, but Kodak was not...
    Another fine example of corporate management doing stupid things to satisfy Wall Street. A repeat of the Quickload/ReadyLoad situation. Kodak had outsourced ReadyLoad production to Polaroid. When Polaroid disappeared, Kodak no longer had an in-house capability to make ReadyLoads, so they were discontinued. Fuji kept selling Quickloads.

I hate outsourcing. I love vertical integration. Hopefully, this

marks the start of a revolution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin