Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,098   Online: 850

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Reloadable Metal 35mm cassettes

I am always checking the clearance page at Freestyle, and noticed that they had ISO 400 Metal cassettes on clearance a month or so back. I ordered some and was surprised that they sent them to me as packs of 5.

The ISO 100 ones are also on that page. I decided to ask what we could get with the ISO codding. One of my Canon Cameras will blink "ISO" on the display if it can't read the cartridge. (even if the speed has been manually set! )

Word I got back from Good old Marv, is that ALL the metal reusable cassettes are going away, and they will only have plastic ones from now on.

I gave up using the plastic ones years ago as they are prone to develop light leaks where the cap joins the felt.

I asked about DX labels and they are not planning any. (I went to a good deal of trouble one time to get a friend in the UK get me some of the labels that are sold in the UK, and found that they are a bit flimsy to be reliable. Porters Cameras in the US also sells some but the barriers to ordering are too much)

Anyone have ideas on substitutes. I know some folks just extract the leader when processing the crimped cassettes and splice the bulk film on but I don't really trust that method. I am using Canon EOS cameras these days, (Auto Focus is a boon to 50 year old plus eyes) so I have to be sure that my bulk rolls are sturdy enough that the camera will rewind at the end properly, without rewinding before the end..
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hi,

You could put tape over the contacts and set the film speed manually?

cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Use aluminum foil duct tape (from Lowes or HD (the plastic kind of tape won't work)) and cut a piece to the proper size for the entire DX code area. Then using either Wikipedia or the DX simulator above, cut pieces of electrical tape or masking tape to place on the parts that would be black. Tolerance isn't very critical. Check the number of contacts in your camera. Most only have three or four and you don't have to mess with the spots that aren't used. Film speed is critical. The rest is pretty much optional. If you want to change speed, peel off the tape and make a new one.

You can also use this same trick to modify film speed on preloaded cassettes. I regularly modify ISO 400 films to ISO 320 this way as I generally like to derate them 1/3 stop. I've also been making cassettes for ISO 250 motion picture film this way and it works great.

It would be a shame if the metal casettes went away. I have found them to light leak as well.

-- Jason

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder if this means that Adox films will be in plastic. As far as I can see, their cassettes are exactly the same as the re-loadable metal ones that I have bought.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kevs View Post
    hi,
    You could put tape over the contacts and set the film speed manually?
    Not on one of my Canons, it will blink ISO if it gets a blank cassette (even if you set it menualy) so you are never sure if you have it right
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    I wonder if this means that Adox films will be in plastic. As far as I can see, their cassettes are exactly the same as the re-loadable metal ones that I have bought.
    I first saw this style with AGFA film, although ilford also used them for years (all before DX coding came out). I believe that the ultimate maker is AP-Photoplast. in Spain. but wonder why the item is disappearing

http://www.apphoto.es/ap_products/do...s_pelicula.htm
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Humm, I've always had better luck with the plastic ones anyway. And I only have one camera that reads DX coding. That's a little Olympus Stylus Zoom I paid twelve bucks for. Granted, it needs the coding as there is no way to set it manually (other than a stick on code or the like.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    Not on one of my Canons, it will blink ISO if it gets a blank cassette (even if you set it menualy) so you are never sure if you have it right
    Which canon model does this? (sounds like some inner electronic glitch/malfunction)
    I use a 1n, 1v and had a 3 but sold it and they all worked fine with the reused factory cassettes. (I taped the bulk film to the last few inches of a used up factory load)

Are you worried the winder will rip the end if you tape your bulk loads?

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Hi Charles, I do not have problem with DX codes but I wondering about supply of good quality cassettes in future? My experience with AP metal cassettes is very bad, it's basically junk. I had some luck a few years ago when in Japan I bought Fuji brand re-loadable, unfortunately they are not longer available. Week or so ago in Columbus, Ohio, I found bunch or metal cassettes with some barely visible lettering from Seattle film works, but they look like unused. Years ago Freestyle had very good ones with "bras colour" lids, very similar to Ilford from that time. Maybe it's the last moment to start hoarding all of them???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin